Chapter Forty-Nine

The Cell

"Hey, Damon, it's your girlfriend, calling you for the seventh time to make sure you got back from Wes safely." I said into Damon's voicemail, "call me."

Last night, after Jesse attacked Damon, he went to go talk to Wes and no one has heard of him since.

I opened my room door and saw Caroline getting ready. I stared at her for a few seconds debating whether or not I should ask about Damon because of the talk we had yesterday.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing." I shrugged my shoulders.

I set my bag on my bed and looked at Caroline again.

"What, Ellie?!" She asked annoyed.

"Have you heard from Damon?" I asked with no hesitation.

"No, why?"

"No one has heard from him after he went to go find Wes last night and I know you don't really care for him but I'm worried."

She sighed, "I'm sure he's fine. But since you're worried, you should talk to Aaron." She grabbed her bag then walked out of the room.

\||\

"Aaron, hey." I greeted as he opened his door.

"Hey. So you heard?" He asked with puffy, red eyes.

"Heard what?" I asked acting confused.

"Jesse's dead. He killed himself last night. Campus security came by to tell me."

I took a deep breath, "I'm so sorry."

He sighed and walked deeper into his room and I followed.

"What's up with this college? It's suppose to be different. I came here to start fresh, get away from all the crap in my past..."

"I get it. After everything you've been through, everything that you've lost, I would want to start over, too." I replied.

"How do you hit the reset button?" He asked.

"Me? I haven't reset anything. All my problems, they've followed me here. Come to think of it, I'm probably not the right person to be getting advice from."

"So if you're not here about Jesse, uh, why are you here?"

"I don't want to bother you, especially right now."

"My days not gonna get any worse, so, uh, go ahead." He responded.

"Okay. Well, um, last night, you told me that Wes was your legal guardian." I started.

"Yea. Since this past summer after my Aunt Sara died," there was a pause, "you see what I'm taking about?" He asked laughing but he was in pain, "everyone around me ends up dead, and my sunny disposition makes me so many friends. I'm sorry. Go ahead."

I feel tears in my eyes because, not only do I feel bad for Aaron, but I can also relate to him.

"Um, the thing is my boyfriend Damon went to talk to Wes last night, and no one has really seen or heard from either of them since, and that kind of worries me, you know? So I know how bad the timing is but I just— I was hoping that maybe you could help me find Wes."

"Yea. Yea. I think I know a place that we can look." He said and we headed out.

\||\

"Just doesn't make sense why Jesse would kill himself." Aaron said as we were walking to where he was guiding me.