Chapter Fifty-Six

Hideout

Stefan, Caroline, Damon, and I just got to Caroline's dad's cabin. Tyler, who now has a traveler inside of him, escaped Markos and the travelers. He said that they're trying to break a witch curse which means they're after Stefan and me. Liv's twin, Luke, is doing a cloaking spell to block any location spells to find Stefan and me.

We got out of the car and Caroline went to see if we can go inside. Stefan and I went to the trunk to get the bags out.

"This is a terrible idea." I told him.

"What did you want me to say? 'No, Damon. It will be awkward to have the three of us confined to Caroline's dad's cabin because I killed your best friend and Ellie's keeping that secret for me'?"

I sighed, "we should've told him."

"Look. I don't trust that he's be able to hold it together." Stefan said.

"Because Enzo's dead or because you killed him?"

"Either, both. I don't know. Either way—"

"Good news!" Caroline interrupted from the front porch and walked over to us, "so we don't have to be invited in, which is actually super sad if you think about it."

We stayed quiet.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asked.

"No. We're just, um." I looked around.

"Unpacking. We're unpacking." Stefan said, "here you go." He handed her two bags to carry inside.

"Okay." She laughed then took them inside.

"So, where's Damon now?" I asked.

"Helping Luke set up." He answered.

"Helping Luke or avoiding me."

"You really don't think he wants to be around you?"

"Well, technically, he said, 'I don't want to hear your voice, and I don't want to see your face.' because it's too hard for him." I repeated what he said.

"Who do you think brought you home last night?"

"Damon? Really?"

"Yea. Tucked you in safely."

"Well, that was an extreme circumstance. Enzo almost killed me."

"Probably read you a nice, little bed time story." He joked.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "you're the least helpful person I know."

"For a couple of targets, you two seem to be taking this all in stride." Caroline said looking at us.

"Yea. Well, you know, a tribe of ancient wannabe witches want to drain us if our blood and eliminate supernatural beings? I've had worse." Stefan said sarcastically.

We picked up the rest of the bags and headed inside.

\||\

I was in the extra bedroom in the Cabin, unpacking my bag.

"Hey." I heard Damon say from behind me.

I turned around and saw him leaning against the door frame.

"Hey." I responded.