Chapter Thirty-Eight

Prom Night

"So what has it been, eight, nine days?" Damon asked as he and Stefan were tossing a football around, while I was laying on the couch underneath them.

"About eight or nine days. I don't know. I lost count." Stefan said as he caught the ball and threw it back.

"We lost count of the consecutive days in which Elena Gilbert has not killed anyone." Damon said, "I'd say that's progress, brother."

"So, what are we gonna do, just throw the football around for another 150 years till Elena gets her humanity back?" I asked sitting up.

"She doesn't want the cure. She's gonna start killing people if she knows that we're still trying to get it for her." Damon told us.

"We could always, uh, make her want it." Stefan suggested.

"Yea. How are you gonna make an emotionless vampire want anything?" Damon asked.

"Get her to flip her humanity switch." I answered.

"So what are we gonna do? Pull a Lexi, bombard her with emotions till one of them sticks?" Damon asked.

"Yea, and is that doesn't work, then we go to plan 'b'— lock her up and keep her sidelined until we figure out a plan 'c.'" Stefan answered.

"And what happens when she gets slammed with every emotion she's repressed since Jeremy died?" Damon asked.

"That's when you will use the sire bond to help her through it." Stefan told him.

Damon hesitated before responding, "aright, how do you want to do this?"

\||\

Caroline, Bonnie, and I were at the dress shop. Tonight is Prom and Caroline is trying on her her dress. Bonnie told us that she has been having these weird dreams about Jeremy.

"What kind of dreams?" I asked as the three of us walked out of the dressing room.

"Usually I'm at his grave, and... all of a sudden, he appears to me."

"Well, you never got to say goodbye, Bon. You're grieving that's normal." Caroline told her, looking at herself in the mirror.

"When I woke up, the couch was on fire." Bonnie added.

"Oh." Caroline and I said at the same time.

"I don't know if it's because I was emotional in my dreams or if Shane was right. Without his help, I'll lose control of my magic." Bonnie said worried.

"No. It's because you need a night off from mourning. And we're gonna make sure that you have it." Caroline and I smiled which cause Bonnie to smile.

"Um, you look super hot, by the way." Bonnie said to Caroline in the dress.

"Do you think?" Caroline asked, smiling

"Oh, yea." Bonnie and I said smiling back.

"Bonnie, Matt and I are gonna have the sexiest date there." I said causing them to laugh.

"You know what? I love friend prom. And it's exactly what prom should be— friends and memories. Yes, it sucks hat my boyfriend can't be here, but the four of us are gonna have the night of our lives." Caroline said.

Then I saw Elena and Rebekah walk in and our smiles went away.

"Hey, Bonnie. Heard you got your mind wiped. That sucks. Pretty dress, Caroline." Elena said walking up to us.

"I know. You helped me pick it out months ago when we were friends." Caroline replied.

"I though it looked familiar."