Chapter Twelve

The Mikaelson's

"It was their mother, Esther, who was sealed in that coffin." Elena told Damon, Stefan and I as we were hanging out in Elena's kitchen. Last night, Bonnie and her mother found a way to open the sealed coffin.

"As in the original witch?" Stefan asked.

"What? How is she even alive? I thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago." Damon said.

"I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple of connections in the witching community." Elena said. "Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."

"She was suppose to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus." I said.

"Yea, well, not anymore. At least, not according to Elijah." Elena told us.

"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds." Stefan added.

"Anyone else feeling a little used right now?" Damon asked.

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us." Elena said. Then, the doorbell rang. "I believe him." She went to open the door. She picked something up and closed the door behind her. She had two envelopes in her hand and she gave one to me that had my name written on it.

"What is it?" Damon asked.

We opened the envelope. "It's an invitation. 'Please join the Mikaelson Family this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails, and celebration.'" I read.

"Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?" Stefan asked.

"The Original Family." Elena answered.

"It's not bad enough they're moving into town. Now they want a house warming gift?" Damon asked.

"Wait. There's a note on the back." Elena said and flipped hers over. "'Elena, I think it's time we finally meet. Esther.'"

\||\

"If Esther wants to talk to me, maybe I should find out why." Elena said.

"Well that's a dumb idea. She already tried to kill you once." Damon said referring to the night of the sacrifice.

"No, Elena's right. Bonnie was led to open that coffin for a reason. I think there's more to this than just some family reunion." Stefan explained.

"Stefan has a point, Damon." I told him.

"I should find out what she wants." Elena said.

"You can't protect yourself." Damon said to Elena.

"Okay, fine. Then I'll go." Stefan took the invitation.

"Hey!" Elena said.

"End of story." Stefan told her.

\||\

I entered the Mikaelson's mansion with Damon on my arm. I was wearing a red ball gown that was somewhat poofy from the waist below, and from the waist up, beads in a design. My hair was curled and I had white gloves on.

Damon and I walked up to Mayor Lockwood. "Hello, Carol." Damon greeted and I smiled.

"Hello."

"Hanging out with your new besties?" Damon asked.

"I'm the Mayor, Damon. When the oldest, deadliest family of vampires moves into your town, you welcome them with a smile." She smiled and took a sip of champagne.