Chapter Sixteen

The way I usually put gifs on isn't working, sorry that there isn't one.

White Oak

I walked up the steps to Alaric's loft, carrying coffee and a muffin for him. Damon is watching him, making sure he doesn't turn into his evil self by drinking Bonnie's herbs. I knocked on the door and Damon opened it.

"Morning, sunshine." He smiled.

"Hey. How's Alaric?" I asked trying to walk in but Damon blocked me.

"Indecent, but fine." He answered.

"So does that mean there was no issues last night?" I asked.

"Nope. Slept like a baby. Woke up Alaric. No headlines about dead council members."

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?" I asked.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky." He said and I glared at him. "What did you bring me?" He asked and grabbed the tray in my hand. He opened the bag and sniffed it. "Chocolate muffins. You know what they say— the way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach."

"They're not for you." I said and grabbed it back.

"Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still not in love with me. But sadly, Ric's going to have to pass on the daughter time today. You know, lockdown and all." He smirked.

"Okay, first of all, we broke up." His smirk went away. "And second, give it to him and tell him that I miss him, okay." I said and held out the tray.

"With pleasure."

"Please."

"Thanks for coming by." He shut the door and locked it.

I exhaled and left the apartment complex.

\||\

"What's with the, uh, cryptic secret meeting text?" Matt asked. He, Caroline, Elena and I were in the woods, waiting for Stefan and Damon. They told us to meet here.

"I don't know. Stefan just said to meet here." Elena said.

"Where's Bonnie? I texted her, too." Stefan asked. He and Damon are, now, with us.

"Uh, Bonnie's mom bailed on her. Again. So I think we should leave her out of this one." Caroline answered.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"We found some more white oak. Long story. Wait for the move." Damon answered.

"Hang on. White oak? You have a weapon that can kill Klaus?" Elena asked.

"Nope. We all have a weapon." Stefan corrected. He tossed a bag in front of us that carried more white oak stakes. We all looked at each other with shocked, happy looks.

\||\

"Klaus has always been one step ahead of us. But now we have the advantage. We're all armed, and they are all linked. Meaning we only need to kill one of them. We need to seize the best opportunity, which means we need to prepare for every opportunity." Stefan explained.

"Scenario number one— you are to play Klaus." Damon said and pulled Elena in between him and Stefan.

"Rebekah is our target. So we'll distract her and catch her off guard. To do that, we need to keep Klaus separate and occupied. Caroline." Stefan said.

"Why do I always have to be Klaus bait?" She asked, annoyed.

"Because he's obsessed with you. But for right now, we need you to play Rebekah. We'll use the quarterback to distract her. Just keep her talking." Damon said.