Chapter Thirteen

Just a Distraction

Elena and I walked up to the Salvatore door. This is the last place I want to be right now, with one of the last people I want to be with right now, but we have to tell Stefan and Damon something important. Elena knows that Damon and I broke up, but she doesn't know why we broke up.

The door opened and there was Damon, shirtless, with Rebekah, in her dress from last night and her hair all messed up. I felt my heart break into a million pieces and tears in my eyes, but tried to act natural. Damon and Rebekah looked at each other, then she walked out.

Elena and I walked inside the house without a word. Both of us in shock. Damon grabbed a shirt and started to button it.

"Did you stop taking vervain?" Elena asked.

"You think Rebekah had to compel me?" Damon asked back.

"What's wrong with you? She tried to kill me less than 24 hours ago." Elena told him. I stayed quiet not wanting anything to do with this conversation.

"Can't we just move past that, Elena?" Damon asked. He went over to the side table and poured himself a drink. "You guys obviously have to tell me something because I know you," he pointed to me, "wouldn't want to be here."

I sighed. "You should know that Esther is planning on killing her entire family. She's linked then all other with a spell. Whatever happens to one happens to all of them."

"That's great. Klaus'll finally be dead. We win."

Elena had a sad look on her face.

"Why do you look like someone just shot a panda bear?" Damon asked.

"Because to kill Klaus, she has to kill all of them, including Elijah, and he doesn't deserve this." Elena told him.

"I'm suppose to care about Elijah?"

"Shouldn't you at least care about Rebekah?" I asked.

"Two seconds ago, Elena was pissed about how she attacked her." Damon said.

We rolled our eyes and turned around to walk away. Damon sped in front of us. "Don't do anything to screw this up, Ellie and Elena."

"He's right, you know." Stefan said joining in. "Klaus has to die. They all do."

"See? It's democracy in action." Damon took a sip of his drink. "You forgot to mention another original you want to save. Kol."

I took a deep breath and walked passed him, making sure to bump into him, causing him to spill his drink. Then, Elena and I left.

\||\

"He was gloating, like actual gloat." I told Bonnie and Elena. We were in Caroline's room with Bonnie trying out a new spell. Elena said that when she went to speak with Esther, she was burning sage for a privacy spell. "Like he was proud of himself for sleeping with Rebekah. Is it working?" I asked changing he subject.

Caroline opened the door. "It's not working. I can hear every word you're saying about Damon, the vampire gigolo."

"I don't know. It's a tricky spell." Bonnie said.

"When Esther did it, she kept the sage burning. There was a lot more smoke." Elena told her.

"Alright, I'll try again." She dipped the sage into the fire and started to wave it around. We looked at Caroline. She left, closing the door. "Speaking of Esther. She cane to see me and Abby this morning."

"And all this time, you let me vent about Damon?" I asked.

"I didn't want you to worry." She said.