Chapter Forty-Two

Dr. Maxfield

"Megan's memorial outside is growing by the minute." Elena said as she walked into the dorm.

"Ugh. College kids are so dramatic. She was on campus for, like, one day. She couldn't have made that many friends." Caroline whined.

"Caroline, she's dead." I told her, "you can stop competing with her."

"Sorry. I'm in a mood." She said packing up a box.

Last night, Tyler called her and told her that he isn't coming to college.

"You talked to Tyler?" Elena asked.

"He's deferring from enrolling and deferring from answering my phone calls, so I'm deferring from having sex with him ever again." Caroline told us and we laughed.

"How's the snooping going?" Elena asked, "any explanation why our vervain-laced... vampire-slaughtered roommate had a picture of my dad on her phone?"

"No." Caroline answered.

"Oh! I went by the hospital this morning. Megan's death certificate." Elena handed Caroline an envelope, it says she died of suicide, no mention of the gaping vampire bites on her neck. So whoever signed off the cause of death, was part of the cover-up. Just like the founders council back home."

"Dr. Wesley Maxfield." Caroline read his name.

"A.K.A our applied microbiology professor. I switched our classes around so that we can—"

"Applied what?" Caroline cut Elena off, "were suppose to be taking into to communication. What happened to getting drunk and making bad decisions about boys? What happened to our fun freshman year at college? I am suppose to be a drama major!"

"You're not going to be an anything major if we get exposed as vampires." I told Caroline.

"We are still gonna have our fun year, Caroline, but we have to protect ourselves. The way Damon kept his secret in Mystic Falls was because he infiltrated the founders council. So busy out those alleged acting skills, and let's get on it, okay?" Elena asked.

I agreed and after a while so did Caroline.

\||\

Caroline, Elena, and I walked into the classroom. We were walking to sit down when someone stopped us.

"Hey. Blow-off girl." Jesse said to Caroline, "aren't you a freshman? How are you in this class?"

"What? I love applied... micro... biology." She read off the bored, "it's like my favorite biology. You know, little things are just so cute."

"Are you going to the bonfire tonight? Or are you just gonna get really close and then turn around and leave again?" Jesse asked.

"She'll be there." Elena and I said at the same time.

"Sweet. We'll hang."

Then, the three of us sat down a few rows behind Jesse, and Caroline gave us a death glare.

"What? You said you wanted to make bad decisions about boys. He's cute, he's interested." I told her.

"And unlike Tyler, he's here." Elena added.

"Morning, everyone." Our Professor said walking into class, "I'm Dr. Maxfield. First name is Wes, but call me Dr. Maxfield. One day when you're out of Med School, you'll understand. So you're all going to this bonfire tonight, right? Well, here's a quick history lesson for you. Whitmore was founded as a hospital during the civil war, deadliest war in American history, over 600,000 casualties. Disease was so prevalent that once a week they had to gather all the dead, rotting bodies, put them in a pile, and light the whole thing on fire. So tonight when you're getting drunk and partying, stop for a second, close your eyes, and imagine the rancid smell of a hundred rotting corpses."