Chapter Nine

The Gilbert Ring

"I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm totally paranoid all the time." Elena told Bonnie and I as we sat down at the Grille.

"You have the right to be. Klaus is still out there, and he knows you guys tried to kill him." Bonnie said.

"Why hasn't he made a movie? There's been no sign of him, nothing. Just my slow spiral into insanity." Elena said.

"Join the club. Every time I close my eyes, I have that nightmare on repeat."

"The same dream?" I asked.

"Yea." Bonnie answered. "Four coffins. Klaus is in one of them. It's weird."

"What if it's not just... some dream? What if it's, like, you know, a witch dream?" Elena suggested.

"It's just stress. I'll figure it out. What about Stefan? Has there been any sign of him?" Bonnie asked.

"He betrayed us, Bonnie. The Stefan that we know is gone." Elena answered.

"How is Damon handling that?" Bonnie asked me.

"I don't know. We haven't talked since." I answered.

\||\

"Jeremy, the minute that you get this, call me." Elena said with anger and hung up the phone.

Damon came to Elena and I and told Elena that Jeremy got fired a week ago from the Grille.

"I'm worried about him." Elena told us.

"Why? He lost his job at the Grille? I think he'll survive, Elena." Damon told her.

"He's spiraling. Ever since Bonnie broke up with him, he's moody. He's not really talking to anyone."

"Just a typical teenager." Damon said.

"Who's seeing ghosts and who's lost everyone that he cares about."

"Not everyone." Damon started.

"He still has you." I finished.

Damon and I glanced at each other for a second then looked away.

"Don't mind me." Klaus interrupted.

"Klaus." Elena said and he smiled.

"You going to do this in the Grille, in front of everyone? It's a little beneath you, don't you think?" Damon asked him, standing in front of us, protectively.

"I don't know what you're taking about. I just came down my local pub to grab a drink with a mate. Get a round, then, would you, Tony?" Klaus told his hybrid minion behind him. He listened to him and walked away.

"I'm surprise you stick around town long enough for happy hour." Damon told him.

"My sister seems to be missing. Need to sort that out."

"Cute, blond bombshell? Psycho? Shouldn't be too hard to find." Damon said.

"Truth is, I've grown to rather like your little town. Thinking I might fancy a home here. I imagine you're wondering how does this affect you. And the answer is, not in the slightest. As long as I get what I want, and everyone behaves themselves, you. an go on icing your little loves however you choose. You have my word."

"What more could you possibly want?" I asked him.

"Well for starters, you can't tell me where I might find Stefan." He said coming closer to me.

"Stefan skipped town the second he saved your ass." Damon said walking in front of me.

"Well you see, that is a shame." He took a dart and threw it into the middle of the board. "Your brother stole from me. I need him found so I can take back what's mine."