Chapter Seventeen

Road Trip

"Alaric?" I called into the cell in the basement of the Salvatore house. I was holding a bag filled with Alaric's belongings since he might be staying here for a while.

"Yea?" He replied. "Still me."

I opened the lock and pushed open the door and then walked in. He was sitting on an old bed. "You know you shouldn't be in here. Defeats the point of the whole being locked in the cellar thing."

"Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep." I told him when I dropped the bag next to him.

"'Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde'?" He read, pulling the book out of the bag.

"What? No I grabbed— Damon." I said while taking the book out of his hand. "Thinks he's hilarious." I rolled my eyes.

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor.l

"Are you sure that you— I mean, you don't have to be kept in here." I told him.

"Oh, no, this is... this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to 'fess up to where I— or... he hid the white oak stake."

"We looked everywhere. You... the other you hid it well."

"What's Klaus going to do if you can't find it?" He asked.

"It's the only thing that will kill him, so... wage war. Murder people. You know, Klaus stuff." I answered. There was a pause. "Listen, Stefan is going to watch over you for a little while. Now that Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe. So, Damon and I are going to go to Denver to pick him up."

"I see you and Damon made up." Alaric said and I nodded, yes. "Be safe."

We said out goodbyes then I left the cell. I walked into the foyer with my bag, where Stefan and Damon were.

"Have you ever flown first class?" Damon asked me.

"Who did you have to compel for that?" I asked, sarcastically.

Damon scoffed. "I use miles." He walked towards me and grabbed my bag. We said bye to Stefan then we headed off to the airport.

\||\

After a few hours of Damon begging to have sex in the plane bathroom, we finally arrived at the batting cages, where Jeremy is.

"There he is." I said and we headed closer to him.

A ball cane towards him but he swung too early and missed.

"Next time we compel him, remind me to make him better at baseball." Damon commented and I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, Jer!" I called.

He took off his helmet and turned around. "Ellie?" He smiled and I smiled back. His eyes went to Damon and his smile went away. "What's wrong?"

We explained to him about Finn and his sire line. "Katherine sired is, Rose sired Katherine, all we need to do is find out who's sired Rose."

"So you travel across the country to get me to talk to a dead vampire?" Jeremy asked.

"Dead vampire's redundant, but yes." Damon answered.

"Well, I can't. I can't talk to Anna and Vickie because I knew them. I've never even met Rose." Jeremy explained.

"What's good is you dying then coming back to life if you can't talk to a ghost when I need you to?" Damon asked.

"Rose spent a long time running fro Klaus as well. She and Damon were close, so maybe we can use you as a connection." I said.