Chapter Forty-Seven

Doppelgängers

"October 1852." Damon said trying to quiz Stefan, who said Tessa gave him his memories back.

"You broke my nose trying to teach me how to throw a right hook." Stefan responded.

"But not on purpose just to be clear." Elena and I laughed.

"How much did you pay for that hunk of junk motorcycle that you ride?"

"That's a trick question. You bought me that motorcycle, although I'm guessing it was pretty expensive."

"So Tessa just gave you your memories back, no strings attached." Damon said.

"Well, it wasn't exactly a gift. It was a lot to take in all at once, everything from blowing out the candles on my first birthday cake to... drowning in a safe." Stefan dazed off.

"Stefan." I called.

He broke the glass cup he was holding and snapped out of it.

"Woah! Easy there, buddy." Damon said.

"Stefan, where did you go?" Elena asked.

He chuckled, "all of that, and I still can't remember my own strength."

There was a thud and we all looked to where the noise came from.

"What was that noise?" Stefan asked.

"Well that is—"

"We have a situation." Elena cut Damon off.

"Of the doppelgänger variety." Damon finished.

There was another thud.

"Katherine?" Stefan asked.

"No, nope, not Katherine." Damon answered.

When Damon, Jeremy, and Silas went looking for the anchor, it wasn't an object, it was a person— Amara, the girl Silas cheated on Tessa with. Amara also happens to be a doppelgänger who looks exactly like Elena and Katherine.

Last night, Amara took the cure from Silas and tried to kill herself, but Damon took her and tied her up and put her in the cellar.

"I don't know!" Amara yelled, as Stefan, Damon, and I walked down to see her.

"I don't know." She kept repeating and moving all around the place.

"What's wrong with her?" Stefan asked.

"Tessa turned her into a block of rock, left her in a box for 2,000 years, probably went a little stir crazy like those deserted island guys who talk to volleyballs."

"I said I don't know!" She yelled again.

"So you're telling me that this girl is the only thing holding together the other side?" Stefan asked.

"Yea. She's the anchor." Damon answered.

"Leave me alone." She said and looked next to her, but no one was there.