Chapter Forty-Three

The Same Dream

I saw Stefan. I saw him walk inside a bar, feed on someone, and walk outside. The sun started to rise and burn his skin, since he doesn't have his daylight ring, and was screaming in pain.

I felt my skin burning as I woke up gasping.

Damon groaned, "you must have restless sleep syndrome or something. It's like sleeping with a tornado." He sat up.

I didn't respond to him. I just took deep breaths.

"Hey. You were up all night.You're exhausted. Come back to sleep."

"I had a dream about Stefan." I said.

"Oh." Damon responded.

"It was more than just a pit in my stomach this time, though. It was real. It was like I was there with him." I explained.

"I know I said it didn't bother me that you have sole psychic connection to my brother, but I don't need a play-by-play, Ellie." Damon said and laid back down.

"You're right. It's weird. Sorry." I said then laid on my side, facing Damon.

"Fine." He turned on his side to face me, "tell me. I'm sure whatever's in my imagination is ten times worse than what's going on in your subconscious."

"It was just so vivid. I saw Stefan walking out of this bar. It had a red awning and this broken neon sign, and he was screaming in pain." I explained.

"Well, should I go check in the attic, see if there's a crystal ball? Maybe you can conjure up an address." He said joking.

"Route 29. Joe's Bar." Katherine interrupted, walking into Damon's room. Damon and I looked at her confused, "I think I had the exact same dream."

Damon groaned and threw his head into the pillow.

\||\

"So I've found nine bars along route 29, and none of them are called Joe's." Damon said walking by me with a duffle bag.

"I had a feeling there was something wrong all summer, and I ignored it, but I was right. Stefan was in a safe. Probably killed whoever it was that found him." I told Damon, "I know that it sounds crazy that I'm following some psychic. dream, but it's the only lead that we have."

"It doesn't sound crazy. It is crazy. But I'm open-minded."

"Shotgun!" Katherine called, carrying her bag. We looked at her, "what? I get carsick in the back seat. Another charming human side effect you stuck me with."

"Please tell me she's not coming." I said.

"Trust me, I have no interest in Katherine's well-being, but for some reason, Silas wants her real bad, and if Silas wants her, I want her more." Damon told me.

"Can't we just stash her in the cellar?" I suggested, "or maybe a deep, dark well with a pair of water wings?"

"Do you really think I was to take a road trip with you, America's most boring, self-righteous vampire?" Katherine asked, "just remember, Damon wouldn't have to play bodyguard if you hadn't shoved that cute down my throat."

"You were trying to kill Elena." I responded.

"I will admit, though, I take great pleasure knowing you wasted your one shot at a human life on me."