1

Another day that my little brother had to go to surgery due to his cancer. It was overtaking him but he was so optimistic. He had friends in the hospital and managed to be very happy even though he had an illness.

Me, on the other hand failed to be as happy as he was. I constantly worried and feared for him, the only times I was happy is when my parents came back to town from business trips, they spoiled my brother and I so much. They were very loving and caring to us both.

Besides my family, I never trusted anybody else. I didn't have many people to turn to when I needed support, it's gotten to the point where I'm so used to being alone that I prefer it.

I was so dependant in the past but now I can't last a single school day with somebody talking to me. I easily got irritated, I had a soft spot for my family but that was it.

My grades were up to my standards, my parents were proud but I wasn't as happy as I know I could be. How can I help myself? The idea of loneliness stuck to me and shutting people out is what I'm best at. 

I visited my brother at the hospital before his surgery, I was extremely close to him. I tried to visit him as much as I could, he had a better social life then I did. I'm so clueless as to how he's so optimistic.

I always came to school early just to avoid anybody's stares or whispers targeting me. It was all too frustrating.

Here I was, on the rooftop of the school. My daily routine, I loved staring at the sky. It was so beautiful seeing the wildlife that lived by the sky.

This was the only time of the school day that I enjoyed. But I had my schedule changed a couple weeks after the first day so I had to find my new classes before the school started filling up.

I looked around, tucking in a strand of my light brown hair while I walked alone. Nobody was around yet, thank the Lord.

I found all the classes I had and just before I found the class for my last period the bell rang to start everybody's first class.

I arrived first, sitting at the desk closest to the window while the teacher was packing her things.

"Ah, you're the new girl in this class. Koh Areum?" She smiled. Areum was my full first name. I preferred Ara.

"Ara, just call me Ara." I responded, she nodded and the class began to fill up in seconds time.

I stared at the window, until I could sense somebody sitting beside me. I rolled my eyes, why would they sit beside me? I'm sure there's other seats available.

I turned to see a boy, he was focused on his phone. His hair was a dark brown colour, it suited his fair pale skin. He also had brown eyes.

I turned away before he could see me, hopefully he's a quiet kid. I hated noise. I generally liked the quiet.

Small chatter was levelling up as the classroom grew more and more full. I turned to see all the seats full and the teacher was already beginning the lesson.

I saw a group of girls staring at me, pointing while they whispered in each other's ear. It was annoying knowing they were talking about me.

As soon as I made eye contact with them, they quickly stopped and fixated their eyes to the board. I rolled my eyes and began listening to the lesson while the boy beside me put his phone away.

Before the teacher began to start teaching, I heard the boy start talking to me.

"I'm Jeon Jungkook, I'll be your seat mate for this semester." A small grin was plastered on his pink lips as he let out a hand for me to shake.

I simply ignored him, and waited for the class to begin. His eyebrows furrowed while he began to listen as well.

I didn't want to talk to him, because I have a slightest feeling that he'd try to use me for rumours. I'm not surprised, it's happened in the past.

The class was coming to an end and I heard him talk to me again.

"Uh, sorry. I don't think you heard me-" I cut off his words with mine.

"I did." I walked away, leaving him dumbfounded. I don't understand why he even tried to talk to me, most people just leave me alone. Does he not know my reputation around this school?

I had to attend my other classes as well, and yet again I had another class with Jeon Jungkook in the last class of the day.

Luckily, he sat far from me while I took the seat closest to the window again. I always try to take seats by the windows or walls.

The teacher began to do attendance. I waited for my name to be called.

"Koh Areum?" A small smile came upon her face as she looked around, I raised my hand slightly for her to notice my presence

"Ara." I simply spoke as she made eye contact with me.

"Oh, is that your preferred name?" She tilted her head, I nodded in response.

I saw that Jeon Jungkook looking at me, he quickly turned away after I saw him staring. I rolled my eyes, what is up with that boy?

The lesson began and I dreaded it, I didn't really have a favourite subject but I was still good at everything because my parents wanted me to succeed. I can't let them down.

The only time I was looking forward was to go home, tomorrow I could see my brother after school. I really miss him.