Rubble

Edited 6-20-19

Alex POV:

I touched my head as it pounded in my skull. I blinked rapidly as dust entered my eyes. The kid laid next to me unconscious and the girl, Ivory, was below my body unconscious. When the bombs went off I tried to block her from most of the debris. I didn't want her injuries any worse than they already were but we all ended up unconscious anyway....

My father always said if there were any civilians in mission like these to put them first and that's what I'm gonna do. I shook the kid who's name I still didn't know. "Yo, kid come on, wake up! "

He groaned. Then gasped, coughing from the amount of dust he took in from the freshly fallen rubble. Considering there was still so much dust, we weren't out for very long.

"Easy kid. Slow breaths. " He did the exact opposite. His breathing was fast and heavy. 

"My leg! It's stuck! " He cried out.

"What? " I took a look to see that his left leg was indeed lodged under a larger rock.

"Aww shit. Hold on... this might hurt. " Straining, I lifted the rock long enough for him to move his leg. He pulled his leg out and collapsed on the ground again. He sighed, his panic decreasing. I grunted, letting the rock hit the ground. It created another cloud of dust around us. I waved my arm in front of me to try and clear some of the dust as we coughed.

It was hard enough to see with it being so dark and the dusty air didn't help. The only thing that provided light was the large glow stick on my belt. The kid coughed again. "Thanks... "

"Can you walk? Is it broken? "

"No it's okay... just cut up a bit. " He said.

"Good. Cause we need to get out of here. If we survived, then that robot most likely did too. I'll start digging over here. We'll make ourselves a path out of here without bringing the whole thing down on us. You wanna help me out? "

"Okay, but what about my sister? " He asked looking worldly over at her limp form.

"She's just unconscious. Wanna tell me what happened to her? She was pretty banged up before the cave in. I might be able to help her if I know the extent of her injuries. "

"Uh, she was tortured by these guys for a short time. But nothing too bad. They just roughed her up a bit... and she was sh- shot. She's probably dehydrated too..."

"She was shot... Alright. Where are you bullet...? " I said as I knelt down and grabbed the tweezers from the small container in my pocket.

"It's in her shoulder.. " He said quickly.

I chuckled. "No, I know where it is. I was thinking out loud to myself. I do that alot. " I said as I searched for the bullet. I wasn't sure how deep it actually went.

"Oh, my bad.. " He said looking down.

"It's alright. I'm not used to being with other people. I'm usually alone with these kinds of things. "

"These kind of things? You've been in situations like this before then? "

"Yeah. Part of my job I guess. I've been stabbed, shot, drowned, kidnapped, trapped, and just about everything. This isn't anything new. "

"Wow..... That's.. "

"Crazy? Trust me kid, I know. "

"I was going to say brave... Cause you know you said you work for the military. Right? You risk your life all the time. That's brave. "

"Something like that yeah. I save civilians and take them to my fathers military base. I don't usually see them after that, I juts know they are given medical attention if needed and sent back to their lives. "

After a pause he spoke quietly. "I wish I could be more like you. "

"Ha, no you don't dude. Trust me. "

"Why not? " I remained silent. I wasn't going to spill my whole back story to this kid who probably wouldn't understand what I would say anyways. I focused back on Ivory's shoulder instead. I grunted pulling out the bullet.

I froze. Something wasn't right. She should've woken up from the pain of me digging around in the wound... or at least moved and flinch in pain...

Yet, she was still out cold. I sniffed the bullet, the kid gave me a weird look. I presses my younger to it and his face scrunched. "The heck are you doing? Why would you lick it, weirdo... that's creepy man. "

"Damnit. " I tossed the bullet aside aggressively, ignoring his weirded out judgment.

"What? " He suddenly asked worried, the previous judgement in his tone disappearing.

"That wasn't just any ordinary bullet. " I said as I gathered some gauze to wrap her wounds.

"What do you mean it wasn't just any bullet? "

"It was laced with poison. A kind of poison I know only of one person who has the cure to.... and he's not a friendly person. "

"What's that mean?! Is she gonna die? "

"No.... " But then I sighed. I'm not gonna sugar coat it for him. He needs to hear that she really might die and that he needs to focus on getting out of here if he wants to save her.

".....okay honestly? I don't know. If she can fight it long enough then maybe she has a chance. For now, we keep her calm if she wakes up and dig ourselves outta here. If we can't do that, then yes. She'll die. "

"O- okay... then let's get outta here! "

"Yeah. By the way, what's your name kid? "

"Casey.. "

"Alright Casey. Let's get to work. "

He nodded and followed my lead. I started moving the larger rocks I knew he wouldn't be able to lift and he got the smaller ones. As I moved another large rock the walls shook. I froze and so did Casey.

Rocks fell from the roof. Ivory was right underneath an unstable part and I could see it was about to fall. I ran to her as fast as I could and jumped over her. A large rock hit my back, I cried out slightly and grabbed Ivy by her arms. I dragged her away from the unstable walls as they collapsed completely.

More dust went up making it even harder to see. I felt a hand on my back, I hissed in pain. That rock did something to my back.

Casey's hand retracted as I winced but it was right back after a moment. I looked behind me, the spot where Ivy just laid was now gone and covered in rubble. Our space just got a whole lot smaller.

"Is she okay? " He asked worriedly.

"She's alright. "

I grunted standing up. "Are you okay? You were hurt...! " He said seeing the back of my shirt ripped in places and blood staining it.

"I'm fine. " He found his book bag under some rubble and handed me extra bandages since the rest had been used in Ivory's wound.

"Where'd you get these? " I asked. "

"Ivy found them awhile back when we were running from those men. We hid in this storage closet and she gave me them just in case something happened. " He held them out to me.

"Here, use them. "

I took my shirt off and took the bandages.

"How's it look? " I asked peering over my shoulder.

"Your back is bruised all over... And bleeding in some places... doesn't look very good. "

"Ah it's alright. It'll heal. " I said with a shrug.

"But doesn't it hurt? "

I groaned as I finished wrapping them around myself. I looked at him. "Yeah, like hell. "