Ch.24 Enemies become friends

I could barely think straight, my mind was everywhere. I have been sitting in my bedroom ever since Thomas dropped me off. He told me the story of how he got into this life and now I wish I'd never heard it. The boys were still not home and it was almost 10, but I wasn't really worried, Thomas promised they would get back safe.  After I basically forced Thomas to pour his heart out to me, we got closer, not that we're best friends or anything but we aren't enemies either. 

I heard the front door open and a bunch of voices, which I knew belonged to the boys. I took a deep breath and made sure to look like I wasn't freaking out on the inside. I walked out of my room and down stairs. The boys were in the kitchen standing around eating pizza, they seemed like they were in an okay mood. That was good. 

"Hey Em." Dylan said mouth full of pizza, but he had a big smile on his face like he always.

This made me smile and laugh, Dylan always made me laugh.

"Did you guys take care of whatever you had to do?" I asked looking from Dylan to Luke, who was grabbing a drink out of the fridge. 

"Yeah, we ended up not having to finish our mission. It was a little suspicious, but I ain't complaining."  Mason said taking a seat next to Caleb who was looking at me weirdly. 

I just kind of nodded not looking any of them in the eye. I was bad at keeping secrets from people I cared about, I always feel to guilty about it. 

"Where did you go today?" 

Caleb said squinting his eyes at me. The rest of the boys stopped their little side conversations and  looked at Caleb confusingly and then to me, like they were waiting for me to answer. 

I tried to play it cool and play dumb, but my face is really red and is probably already giving me away before I even open my mouth. 

"What do you mean? I've been here at home doing some homework since I got home from school." 

I said not making eye contact and walking over to the counter and grabbing a slice of pizza.I really wanted to change the subject so bad, I don't even know why he's asking me. I mean there is no way that he knows I went with Thomas after school, unless someone told him they seen me leaving with him, but I don't think anyone at school would have a reason to do that.

"Really, then where is your stuff?" He said nodding his head to the spot where I always lay my backpack when I get home. 

Crap. I totally forgot about, I must have left it at Thomas's house or in his car.

"Y-yeah, I left my umm...stuff in my locker. I didn't feel like taking it home. Plus my homework was online."  pressed my lips together and gave a small smile. 

He just nodded his head and kept looking at me like he was analyzing me and my every move. 

I took a deep breath and tried to change the subject. 

"Where's Connor?" 

Luke was now sitting beside were I was standing. Luke scuffed and rolled his eyes.

"He's with Winter. I swear he just meet the girl and he's already becoming soft."

I just laughed. Connor was acting like a little puppy in love, but I think that this is good for him. 

Caleb finally stopped giving me the suspicious look and finally was acting normal. I knew I was going to have to eventually tell the guys, but I didn't want to right now. It just wasn't the right time. Especially for luke and Caleb, it was going to affect them the most.  

"Do you ever wonder if food has emotions?" Dylan said lying down on the couch looking up at the ceiling.

After we got done eating we moved into the living room and were just lying around talking and watching cartoons. 

Mason rolled his eyes and slapped dylan in the head. 

"Dylan, stop asking stupid questions every five minutes. I really don't understand how you're passing your classes."

 Mason said the last part under his breath, but everyone still heard it. Mason and Dylan were really funny when put in the same room. 

I was sitting next to Caleb, which I was actually thankful for. I really wanted to talk to him, actually I just want to snuggle on the couch with him and fall asleep. The guys kind of acted like they knew that we might be a thing, but nothing was official so I knew that basically throwing myself on him wasn't a good idea.   

When It was like midnight Mason and Dylan decided that it was finally late enough to leave. Can't you just imagine me rolling my eyes.  Apparently their parents didn't care what time they came home. Actually now that I think about it, I've never heard either one of them mention their parents. 

I went to my room after caleb went to take Mason and Dylan home, since they didn't have their cars. 

I never heard Caleb come home, but it was now like two in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I was tired, very tired, but I couldn't fall asleep. I looked at the clock for what seemed like the 100th time and let out a big puff of air. Time was going by slower than when you're at school. 

I really wanted to see Caleb right now. Everytime I can't fall asleep he always seems to help me. I was debating the idea of going to his room, I mean it's two in the morning he's probably asleep. Or what if he gets mad at me for coming into his room in the middle of the night. I took one last look at the clock at got up.

 "you can do this. It's just Caleb, you'll be fine."  I say to myself trying to calm myself down. 

I got to his door and looked at it for a few seconds before knocking softly. I didn't want to wake anyone else up. At first I thought he wasn't going to answer until I heard him say come in softly. 

I opened the door and stepped in and then closed the door before looking up at Caleb. He was lying shirtless in his bed and looking at the ceiling. When I walked a little closer to him he turned his head toward me and smiled.

"What are you doing up?" He said scooting over so that I could lay beside him.

I layed down beside him and looked at the ceiling like he was just doing. 

"I could ask you the same thing." I said with a small laugh. I knew he hadn't been asleep, I could just tell. 

He laughed a little too. "Well I asked you first."

"True. I just couldn't go to sleep, I've been trying for the past two hours and nothing. I'm wide awake, even though I'm tired." I said not sure if that made any sense.  

Without me realizing it I laid my head onto Caleb's shoulder. It must not have been a big deal because Caleb didn't do or say anything about it. 

"Maybe you have something on your mind that is keeping you up." He said sneaking his arm underneath my waist pulling me closer. 

I don't know why, but I could tell he knew I was lying earlier. 

"You knew I was lying didn't you." I say looking at him.

He turned his head and looked down at me. 

"Yeah, but I trust you and know that you will eventually tell me where you really went." He said giving me a reassuring smile. 

I nodded my head a looked back up at the ceiling. I can't believe he knew I was lying and he was okay about it. I could feel myself begin to get sleepy. I muscled my head into the crook of his neck and closed my eyes. This felt great. 

I heard him chuckle, and felt the vibration from it, which made me smile.

"Goodnight Em." Caleb said rubbing his hand up and down my back. 

"Goodnight Caleb." I said drifting off into a peaceful sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I know I am very bad at updating sorry. This chapters shoutout goes to Annetnwaokolo Thank you for voting and commenting. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.