XXIV

He was gone.

Baby boy was gone.

And he was never going to see him again.

Ever.

Suddenly Louis felt empty, his arms, his heart, and even his soul felt empty, because in just one day baby boy had made his presence known, and had occupied all of the room in those... but he wasn't there anymore.

No.

That couldn't be.

He needed him, he needed him so much that he felt like he couldn't breathe without him.

"No, no, no" Louis mumbled, as he broke free of his mum's hold, who was still hugging him.

"Baby..." Jay said confused.

"I need him back" Louis said as he pushed back the bed covers.

"What?" Liam asked.

"I'm fücking serious, I want him back now!" Louis said desperately.

Jay and Liam just stared at Louis blankly, but Harry didn't hesitate, and sprinted out of the hospital room, just as Louis got up from the bed.

But by the time he reached the door, Harry was already back holding baby boy in his arms, and he immediately offered him to Louis, who took him faster than he had ever done anything in his life.

"I'm sorry I did that, I'm so sorry" Louis cried as he hugged his son tightly "Please forgive me, baby, I'm sorry".

Harry held Louis by the waist, and led him back to the bed while he kept whispering 'I'm sorry' to the baby in his arms. But the baby started whining, probably getting startled by how abruptly he had been passed around.

"Shh, it's okay" Louis told him, wanting to comfort him, but he was still sobbing himself "You're back with me now, you're safe with daddy".

Louis realized that was the first time he had ever refered to himself with that name, but that was what he was now, a dad.

Or maybe a mum, he wasn't sure what he wanted to be called, but that didn't matter now, he had time to figure it out, because he was never going to let go of his son again, ever.

"Louis..." someone spoke, not someone, it was the social worker.

"I'm so sorry, Sally" Louis apologized to her, looking away from his son for the first time since he got him back "I can't".

"I understand" Sally nodded.

"Please tell them I'm sorry, they're amazing, and I thought I meant it when I promised they could have him, but I can't say goodbye to him, he's mine" Louis declared.

"It's okay, this happens" Sally said in understanding, and took out a set of papers "Here are the documents you just signed".

"Thanks" Louis said, knowing he would be ripping those papers apart.

"I wish you and your son the best of lucks" Sally said politely

"Thank you, Sally, I'm sorry for all the trouble I put you through" Louis apologized again.

Sally nodded, said goodbye to him and everyone else in the room, and left, but this time baby boy stayed where he belonged, with his father.

Baby boy had stopped crying, and so had Louis for that matter, because there was no need to cry anymore. So he kissed his son's forehead and told him he loved him before looking up at his mum, who's face looked like a mess from all the crying before, but she had a huge grin on her lips now.