43

unedited

kwon rinadysfunctional

kwon rina
dysfunctional

       the sounds of my heels clicked on the ground, making the noise echo throughout the hallway. my hair tangled from soft air brushing past as i ran. i could care less even when others stopped to stare at me.

       my eyes wandered around till i caught sight of the small group of high schoolers huddled together. it felt strange, seeing them again after all those days i've tried to avoid them.

       yoongi's shoulders were slumped, his hands tangled in his messy hair. his eyes intensely tried to hide his unease and fear, but the way his leg was shaking up and down while his back rested on the white bench said everything. a strong wave of poignant feelings erupted from his aura.

       hoseok was worn out, resting his head on jimin's shoulder. minjoo's face was buried in jeonghan's neck as he gripped onto her tightly, he rubbed her back in a soothing motion.

       i stood still watching the scene play out in front of me. we looked like a dysfunctional bunch. seokjin and yongsun talked with the doctor, their talk was subdued.

       yejin eyes scanned around the room till they landed on me. she let go of jimin's hands and stood up, securing her cardigan around her. the artificial light from above fluttered, giving no one a sense of comfort.

       "what's going on?" my voice shaked a little as i tried to let out a few words.

       yejin placed her finger on her lips, gently leading me towards a quieter hallway. her eyes held mixed emotions, "hyerin ran away," she seemed to have sensed my anxiety as she quickly added, "but don't worry, namjoon already found her, i don't know where they are though."

       like a devil creeping the corner listening to our conversation, nurses ran down the hallway with an unconscious girl on a stretcher. yejin's words suddenly seemed muted, the sound of the paramedics and nurses pushing the stretcher was thunderous. it couldn't be.

       the universe confirmed my thoughts as namjoon darted after them. yejin roughly grabbed my wrist as we moved towards the group. yoongi was now standing, his eyes threatening to allow the tears fall down.

       dasom looking up created a chain reaction as everyone silently followed. the sign dazzled in the white hospital walls, the operation sign was now on. yejin collapsed onto the ground pulling at yoongi's leg.

       tears streamed down her face, her sobs were inaudible as her body shook with such force. jimin crouched down and grabbed her hands that were gripping onto yoongi's pants. her hands loosened, dropping to her sides as jimin pulled her back up and moved her to another corner.

       "both of you are such assholes for not saying anything," dasom croaked out. she pushed her hair back and took two steps towards yoongi and pulled him by his collar, "how can you not tell us anything, we're her friends. you're such a coward min yoongi, that's why you broke up with chanmi too."

       yongsun was visibly disturbed, her hands trembled with irritation, "shut up."

       chanmi's eyes met mine, my eyes held  questions. what was she talking about? she fleeted my questions when she looked down at the ground. the ground suddenly looked captivating to her as she counted the marks on the floor to avoid the situation playing out in front of her.

       "what?"

       it wasn't very often that yongsun would get furious. she was usually in a state of relaxation and would always rationally think. which was one of the main reasons why she was able to get along with seokjin when they used to date. seokjin subtly grasped her hand, he acted as if no one was paying attention to his action. his hair gleamed under the artificial light, it was hard to read his emotions, he hid it well.

       "i said shut up dasom, stop picking a fight," yongsun withdrawed her hand from his grasp. seokjin's cheeks were dusted red, clearly embarrassed by his actions from earlier.

       there were deep furrows in dasom's eyebrows. her tight hold on yoongi's collar was now gone and she took painstakingly slow steps towards yongsun, "do you not see what he did?"

       she purposely emphasized every word, "it's his fault if anything happens, she wouldn't even be in there if he just let her take that operation in the beginning."

       namjoon let out a deep breath, lifting himself off of the wall, "you guys are all so selfish, let's go yoongi."

       seokjin patted yongsun's shoulder almost as if he was giving her a signal that he trusted her not to do anything foolish. he speed walked towards the two boys now leaving the hospital corridors for a breather. i smiled weakly at dasom, trying to reassure her and let her calm down. but it only seemed to have riled her up even more.

       "what are you doing here?" she spat out her words with disgust.

       "the last time i checked, you didn't even bother to know what was happening with us, you're a terrible friend and human being, you know that right?" she rolled her eyes.

       she looked even more like a nuisance to me as she tried to let out her frustration on everyone. then i noticed, there was a lot of things i didn't know about her, chanmi, and yejin. we had abruptly become friends all because of our mutual friends and jungkook.

       i knew more things about minjoo and hyerin since we had been friends since we were younger. it felt like something broke inside, i was disappointed in myself, i thought i knew everything that was happening with hyerin. i broke out of my thoughts when i felt myself being roughly pushed back.

       i stumbled but a silver glint caught my eye from dasom's pinky. a small ring with the letter kj was boldly engraved. a scoff left my mouth as i caught myself from falling, "you don't even know half the stuff i've been through lately."

       there was no way back, it was almost as if i was hanging on a small branch off a cliff this whole time. i had successfully managed to hang on till that ring and her snarky attitude made me let go.

       my feet subconsciously moved me closer to her, "you didn't even know anything either since-," i pulled her right hand up and placed in between us, "you seemed to be busy messing around with my brother."

       dasom yanked her hand out of my loose grip, "i've been dating him for a while but you probably didn't know since you were busy being such a bitch for tae-"

       a loud crash rung throughout the hospital corridors. a rough push to the wall brought me out of my daze from my anger. chanmi held me close to the wall while yejin and jimin were next to dasom. dasom's hair fell in front of her eyes. chanmi let go, stepping back, "why are you guys all acting like this?"

       "stop," yongsun glared at the two of us, "stop fighting and actually act mature for your age, you guys are almost eighteen."

       the corridors that were once loud from all of yelling were now silent. the soft paging for a doctor filled the silence between all of us. my legs gave out as i slumped down onto the ground.

       we stayed like that for a while till the once bright light in front of the glass doors turned off. a doctor emerged from the doors, taking off his green mask.

       "min hyerin's guardian?"

       yongsun raised her hand, "here."

       the doctor looked at her with eyes filled with remorse. he glanced back at the messed up kids sitting down on the ground and benches before opening his mouth, "i'm sorry but-"