Chapter 1

*WARNING* This chapter will contain drug usage and violence (child abuse)!
--------------------------------------------

"Evan," a sweet voice calls to me in the mix of the darkness around me. "Evan, honey, come here."

I start walking forward, looking for the source of the familiar, sweet voice, but struggle to see it. Suddenly, I see a bright light, that is almost blinding, even from a distance. The voice then calls my name again. It's coming from that light. Taking a deep breath, I start running into the light and I cover my eyes with my arm.

Warmth surrounds me as I run into the light, and I hear a loud ringing in my ears. I can no longer hear the voice.

I slowly pull my arm away from my eyes and try to look around. I'm in the middle of a green field. There are flowers and trees all around me, the sky is filled with clouds, floating through, creating pictures and shapes.

"I... I know this place," I say, walking forward. The ringing in my ears start die out, and it is replaced by the sweet sound of birds singing. "This is the park... I haven't been here in years..."

"Evan," I hear from the tree line. I look over and see a beautiful woman with long, black hair and she's wearing a long, white dress with pink roses on it.

Tears start to fill my eyes as I run to her. "Mom!"

When I get to her, I practically crash into her and hug her tightly. She pets me as I cry into her shoulder, not wanting to let her go. I suddenly feel someone put their hand on my shoulder, and when I look, I see a man with messes black hair, wearing a light blue button up shirt and black slacks.

I let go of my mom and turn around to hug him. "Dad!" He wraps his arms tightly around me, patting my back as he does so.

I smile as I hug the two most important people in my life, but we break our hug when we hear thunder coming. We look behind us and see that the darkness that I had just gotten out of is starting to come towards us, thunder and lightening coming from it. My heart drops, and I know that I need to get out of here, but I can't leave my parents.

Grabbing their hands, I turn away from the darkness and take off running, dragging them with me. They quickly catch onto what is happening and they start running beside me. We try running to where the entrance of the park is supposed to be, but it feels like we're just running in place.

Suddenly, something causes my dad to trip and he falls behind. My mom screams and runs over to help him, but the darkness is starting to drag him in. She grabs his arms and tries to pull him up, only for the darkness to grab her and pull her in too.

My heart starts to break as I watch them disappear from me. My body is frozen, and I just can't find the strength to move. The darkness starts coming closer to me, and I don't know what to do. I want to save them, but how can I fight this?

***

My eyes shoot open as the bell rings, and I see everyone around me get out of their seats and start walking out of the classroom. I sigh before I put my stuff away and start walking towards the door, but am stopped by my teacher saying, "Evan; can you stay here for a second?"

I turn to her and walk over. "What did you need, Mrs. Minx?"

"Evan, I've noticed that your grades are starting to slip again."