Chapter 16

When I pull away from the guard station, I follow the directions he told me until I get to the visitors parking garage. Pulling into a open spot, I get out of my car and text Jon, letting him know that I'm here. He never told me what his apartment number was, so I have to wait for him to text it to me.

After a few minutes, I lean against my car as I stare at my phone, waiting for him to text back. However, I get nothing. I start to get annoyed by how long he is taking to text me back.

Maybe this is a sign or something. Maybe I should just leave now.

Just as the thought starts to come into my head, I feel someone lean against my car beside me and hear them say, "You a watched phone doesn't ring, right?"

I look to the person and gasp, now seeing Jon right next to me. "What are you doing here?"

"I live in this building," he laughs as he slides his arm behind me. He then pulls me closer to him, and I turn to him completely before I hug him, wrapping my arms around his neck as he wraps his around my waist.

"You know what I mean, jackass," I laugh.

"I wanted to walk you up to my apartment." He lets me go and I do the same after him. With a small smile on my face, I take his hand and walk with him as he leads the way up to his apartment, which is on the fifth floor, of the building.
Once we walk in, I instantly scan the room. Three bar stools along an island in the kitchen, couch and chair around a coffee table, desk and chair behind the couch, and a tv on the wall with a stand under it. Overall, it's not what I expected to see.

"Did you decorate this place?"

"Nah, I just got the money for it. My sister bought everything and placed it wherever."

That makes sense.

"So, you want to tell me what happened," he says as he walks us over to the couch.

I sit next to him and bite my lip. "Not really."

"But you're going to tell me anyways, right?"

"Not like I have a choice," I chuckle. I sigh and shut my eyes, trying to think of the right things to say.

I don't want to talk. I don't want to say it. If I say it... I have to accept that it's all true. And... I don't want it to be true. I want Bryce to be alive, fighting to get over his addiction, trying his best to live a normal life. I want Ohm to be here now, teaching me how to be an amazing dancer like him. One that Panda would be proud of to have on his team.

"Evan," Jonathan says, putting one hand on my shoulders and the other on my forearm. "I only want you to tell me because I can tell that this is hurting you. Your voice on the phone, it sounded like you were done."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, whenever I hear someone talk like that in person, it makes me worry that they are going to do something stupid to get away from what is bothering them. I care about you too much to see you do something that you're going to regret later. So, please, tell me what's wrong."

I look over to him and we lock eyes. I can see how much worry is brewing in them, and it makes the shattered pieces of my heart ache. The last thing I want to do is make him worry, but if I stay silent, that's all I'm going to do... This is going to kill me... But I have to. I really don't have a choice in this. At least, not one that will help me in the end.

I take a deep breath and shut my eyes again, turning away from him as I gather up any ounce of courage I have, and I find the right words to say. Though, the words are swirling around in my head, and getting caught in my throat as I make myself say it.