Chapter 35

*Trigger Warning*

A kind smile. Bright lights around him. Cheerful laugh. Loving eyes.

People loved him. People cared for him. People wanted to protect him.

If only they could see it. Swimming in the outer rims of where the lights end. Circling around him like sharks. The darkness is waiting. The darkness is looking for the perfect chance to attack him.

When I look at him... I can see it slowly making its way towards him. And I have no choice but to stand and wait, stand and watch as it gets ready to destroy him as it did with everyone else.

It shouldn't be too much of a shock, however... He is too innocent for his own good... So that's why everyone pushed him out of the way of each attack, and he never saw it... That is until he looked in the mirror and saw someone walk into the darkness, to buy him just a little more time with his innocence...

How did I not notice this until now?...

***

"It is so nice to finally meet someone that my son is dating," the sweet voice told me through my phone screen.

It's two days after Christmas, and Jonathan finally came out and told his family about him being gay, and told them that he was dating me. After a mini freak out reaction that he said invalid his dad walking out of the room, his mom having a panic attack, and his sister laughing, yelling "I knew it" over and over, his mom wanted to say hello to me.

"I have to admit, even if I don't agree with Jonathan new lifestyle, he does know how to pick a good looking man."

"Mom!" Jon looked like he was about to die from embarrassment already, even though his mom and I have barely even talked for a minute.

I chuckle, feeling my face heat up. "Thank you, Mrs. Dennis. It is very nice to meet you too. Hopefully someday soon we can say that is person."

"Oh, I would love that! Granted I'm not looking forward to church for the first time since I was young, but as long as my children are happy, I'll suck it up and be happy for them. And pray a little more," she whispers the last line, but I act like I didn't hear it.

At least she is trying.

I look behind her, towards the corner of the screen and see Jonathan leaning against the doorframe, watching us speak. He looks over, and it sort of feels like he and I lock eyes, which makes both of us smile.

"Speaking of children, I need to know; do you have plans on adopting in the future?"

I quickly feel my eyes widen and I almost drop my phone. The idea of kids hadn't exactly come to my mind, ever. Most likely because I still am technically a kid.

In the background of the call, I hear a girl laughing and Jon quickly yells at his mom. "We just started dating four months ago!"

"Well, that's plenty of time to start thinking. Plus, you told me that you wanted to come out now because you-"

"Evan, what time is it there," Jon quickly interrupts. I look back at the screen and see him now pulling the camera away from his mom so that it's facing him. "Shouldn't you be getting ready for work?!"

I look at the time and sigh, knowing that he's right. "Yeah actually. I need to leave right now."

From off-screen, I hear someone then yell out, "Isn't it, like, four or five where he is?"

"It's four," Jon says, annoyed. "What's wrong with it being four?"

"What does he do that makes him go to work at four?"