Chapter 40

Hours seemed to have flown by, and before I knew what was happening, the club had closed its doors, and we were all to go back to the apartments. I, however, take a different turn than the others and go to the diner. Jon and I had a date planned for tonight, and part of me couldn't wait to see him. It had been a while since we've met up here, but when I sit down in an empty booth facing the door, it feels like nothing had changed. Looking around, I see cops, people who left the clubs, and late night college kids, trying to get food as they stay up working.

I smile to myself when I see this, and it only gets bigger when I see Mark walking over. "Hey Evan," he greets me with a friendly smile. "Haven't seen you in a while."

"I know; it's been too long."

"Well, Jon texted me a little while ago, telling me to tell you he was going to be late."

I raise an eyebrow at this. "Why didn't he just text me?"

"Because he wanted me to cover his ass so you wouldn't be mad at him."

My smile falls into an unamused expression. "What did he do?"

"Lied to you about him finishing his English paper hours ago, so you would keep texting him." I roll my eyes and shake my head. "He'll be here in about twenty minutes."

"Thanks for telling me."

"You want the usual?" I give him another smile and a slight nod.

After the small exchange, he turns and walks away, leaving me alone with nothing but my thoughts. Though, maybe that is for the best. After all, I need to decide now what I'm going to do. If not now, then I'll never think this through.

I sigh and look out the window as I start thinking about everything over the past two years. Like Panda said, this is a big decision. And I know I told Jonathan that I would quit the club, but that was before I was promised anything. Or, should I be saying offered?

Shaking my head, I shut my eyes and do all I can to block out the laughing and talking from the people around me. Once I do, I clear my mind and start to really think back to my time at the club.

The first few things to pop up, however, are the faces that I'll never get to see again. Bryce, Marcel, Lucas, and Ohm... Three people who are dead, and one who I can't find. I have to hold back tears as I think about the fact that Bryce was killing himself for years, in front of me, and I never noticed. Popping pills behind my back, mixing it with alcohol to give him energy, and risking every day to escape his life. The fact that I stood next to him while he was dying, choking on his own vomit, is a thought that will haunt my nightmares.

Marcel and Lucas, I guess I can't blame the club fully for. However, I can't help but think about what Lucas' killer had said a week before his death. He called him a whore and accused him of fucking others. And it was all because of where he worked... And me. A simple text to make sure I was safe was used to make him look bad. The club was pushed to make him look like a whore. One break up with a fucked up excuse for a human later... Two people are gone. It happened so fast. It felt out of nowhere, but I don't think anyone that has lived through something as serious as a shooting could say they saw it coming.

Then, Ohm. The man who is still alive, but unseen. The man who saved me and brought me into this world. He gave me a home, a family, friends, and helped me through so much. He taught me so much and was there for me. And now, just because he quit, I'll possibly never see him again. And that kills me.

However, I can't lie to myself. Although I have lived through that bullshit and heartache, I had so many happy memories. Although Ohm was the one who brought me into the club, the club became my everything. It became all I needed for so long.

The nights I spent there had been so much fun, and I remember feeling like I was finally welcomed somewhere. The only thing I had to hide was my age, but that didn't matter. I didn't have to stay locked up for hours anymore. I was allowed to come and go whenever I wanted. I was free from the abuse of my parents' addiction and had everything I could have wanted right there at the club. And in a way, I still do.

I have a parent figure in Brock and Panda, a best friend in Ze, and brothers in Tyler, Lui, and Mini. I have a family in the club, and because of it, I met the man that I would want to spend the rest of my life with.

When I open my eyes, I just stare out the window. I have so much to thank the club for... So many amazing memories. It helped me grow up. It has been such a huge part in my life. To let it all go would kill me.

Not to mention, this would mean I have a job at eighteen. I wouldn't have to rely on college or have to come up with a plan B. This would mean that everything I would ever need is already set up for me. All I would have to do to is say yes, and I will be a manager of a successful business. A co-owner, and when Panda steps down, I'll be the owner. With how many customers come in and out every day, the amount of money that has to go in would allow me to live a comfortable life.

There are so many reasons I can think of for me to accept the offer. Even with everything that has happened these past few months, I still have so many more happy memories and amazing reasons to stay.

I snap back to reality when I see a truck pull into the parking lot and park next to my car. The headlights turn off and soon I see the driver side door open and shut as the driver gets out. Then, I see a figure start to walk closer, and once they come into the light, I smile when I see that it's Jonathan.

Jonathan...

He didn't want me to stay at the club. He thought there would be more for me after I got out. He... He wants better for me, and he thought the club wouldn't be the best place for me...

On one hand, I will be financially secure, and on the other, I will be out of a dark industry...

The bell above the door rings as Jon walks into the diner. He quickly walks over to the booth and gives me a quick kiss before he sits in front of me. I look over and see that Mark had placed my soda next to me while I was staring off, thinking about the club. Suddenly, I feel bad for being rude and not acknowledging him.

"You okay, babe," Jon asks me.

"I'm fine," I lie. "So, you finished your work, finally?"

"What?"

"Mark told me the truth."

Jon looks over to the counter, where Mark is hanging out, and he glares at him. "I'm not tipping you, asshole," he growls.

"I'll tip him a fifty then," I say with a smirk.

Jon looks back to me with huge eyes. "We don't even spend that much on food here!"

"Yeah, but he didn't lie to me when you did and you told him to."

"Oh come on, it was a little lie."

I just laugh and look down to my drink.

I think I know what I need to do... But first, I need to come clean... But not now. I just can't do it now. Not when he has something planned for us tomorrow.