AJDS-He Promised

Sammy and Susie finally came home after a long rough day. Today was different; instead of working at the studios writing music everyone was at the hospital. Their longtime friend and partner, Norman Polk died today. He's been sick for a year, and he told no one, but just weeks ago the sickness came and Norman was at the hospital. Everyone thought he would get better, retire, and just relax, but no, death came and took him from the studio.

Sammy, despite the two not getting along since he stepped into the studio finally buried the hatchet. The music director spent time with the former projectionist just talking and remembering their early years at the studio, and just as they we're finally getting along, Norman just leaves. It pained Sammy to see Norman go, he said sorry for all the times he was rude to Norman, but never got a "I forgive you." And wondered when it was Sammy's time to go, will Norman still forgive him.

"Daddy!" A high pitch voice came from downstairs. Sammy's eyes widen, running towards him was his youngest twin, Stanley. He realized tomorrow a day of happiness was supposed to happen, the twin's birthday. Norman died today, and tomorrow while everyone is grieving he has to celebrate his son's birthday.

Not only that, Stanley bonded with Norman a lot, letting him up in the projection booth with his father to watch the cartoons together. He even gave Stanley books to read and spoiled him with gifts every birthday and Christmas.

Stanley hugged his father tight, the later tried to hold back his tears he didn't want his son to see him cry. "Daddy how was work today?" He asked, he looked behind his mother and father, and saw no gifts for him. "Where are my presents?" His voice went to a whimper and saw tears from his father's eyes. "Daddy? Are you okay?"

Sammy looked at his son, wiping the tear from his eye and gave a small smile. "Y-Yeah. I'm fine. T-Today was busy. Y-You'll get your gifts tomorrow." He stuttered.

"Daddy." Stanley spoke again. Sammy looked at his son, and the tears never stopped falling. "Where's Grandpa Norman's gift?"

Sammy almost collapsed hearing Norman's name. He forgot Norman was the one who gave the twins their gifts a day before their birthday. "Stanley. Norman is gone." He chocked.

"G-Gone?" Stanley asked. "But he'll come back right?" Sammy shook his head, as much as he wanted too, Norman wasn't coming back. "Does, Grandpa Norman hate me?"

Sammy shook his head again. "No, he cares a lot for you."

"Then where is he?!" Stanley yelled, crying like his father.

"Stanley!" Sammy snapped, making his son stop in fear, but the tears kept on falling. "Norman. Norman is dead."

"D-Dead?" Stanley asked.

"Sweetie." Susie spoke up, holding her son. "Norman died today, and he's not coming back."

Stanley started to sob in his mom's arms. Susie rubbed her son's back comforting him. "He promised!" Stanley cried. Susie looked at him, "He promised to come to my birthday tomorrow!" Stanley pushed himself off his mother and ran to his room. Sammy was going to talk to his son, but Susie stopped him. His son needed to be alone for a bit, same with them.

The next day came, and Susie and Sammy stayed at home as their son's went to school. It was quiet around the house, except for Susie baking a small cake for the boys. Even though Norman was gone, they knew if he was still here Norman would want them to have a party for their kids.

Sammy just sat on the couch listening to the radio looking out the window. It was like he wasn't there and was in his own little bubble. Suddenly the bubble popped when he heard the doorbell ring.

Sammy got up and opened the door. He looked around and saw no one was around, except for two gift boxes addressed to his son's and a note. He picked it up and read the note.

Hello there Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence,

You probably don't know me, but my name is June Polk. I'm the youngest child of Norman Polk, my father. I was told last night he died, and like most of you and the workers he's been with we are deeply crushed from his lost, especially my mother. However, today I was visiting her I found these two boxes with your son's name on them. My father told me about you Mr. Lawrence.

He told me, while you were a serious guy, you had a big heart. He even told me the times you had your good days where you would be kind and not sassy (That's what my dad said to me). Weeks before he died, he and my mom set this up for your sons, and I just had to give them to you. I hope they like them.

Anyways, stay strong Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence. Have a great day, and happy birthday to your sons.

-June Polk

Sammy smiled tearing up as he read the letter. He gave a smile. All this time when he treated Norman bad, Norman talked about the good side of him. It was forgiveness all this time.

"Sammy, who was that at the door?" Susie asked coming in from the kitchen. Sammy sniffled and gave the note to his wife. Susie smiled and sniffled reading the note. The music director put the gifts down, and hugged his wife, both crying.

"We're home." Stephen called out. His brother told him the sad news about Norman, and just like him felt sad they will never see him again.

"Boys, we got something from grandpa Norman's family today. Its for your birthday." Susie said.

"No thanks." Stephen replied.

"Stephen."

"Mommy! No!" Stanley snapped grabbing Stephen's hand.

Susie sighed, she hated seeing her boys like this. She sighed and held her boys. "Now boys. This is from Norman. I know he's gone, but he wants you to see what he got for you." She explained.

The twins looked at each other and shrugged as their mother led them to the couch. Sammy each handed the twins their presents. Slowly, the twins opened their gifts and what felt like forever the twins smiled seeing what they got for their birthday.

Stephen got himself his own camera so he can take photos. "Cool!" He beamed.

Stanley was surprised what he got for his birthday. It was a bunch of his favorite books along with Norman's hat. Sammy picked up the hat and put it on Stanley's head. "There. You look ready to go."

Stanley smiled and hugged his father. Sammy hugged his son back and the two shared a cry together.

Norman would be gone from their lives, but as long as they remember him his legacy lives on.