Maids and Monsters

Who says you need to be a certain age to officially grow up? Naoko-nee grew up when she was my age. So why won't she let me grow up with her? Then we can share the burdens we carry. The burdens she carries.

- Sumire Makoshima

xXx

"Stop. You're not doing it right."

Naoko resisted the urge to wince at her tutor's sharp voice. She moulded her face into an icy mask and stoically regarded her violin teacher.

"That note you drew just then was too long and mourning. Do it again. Make sure that it's perfect this time."

"Yes, sensei."

The girl did not smile when she completed the piece, even when her teacher begrudgingly praised her music. Instead, she only nodded and listened out for what her tutor had to say next.

It was mid-afternoon when violin lessons were over and she was left alone in the house. She was packing her violin back into its case when the door opened and a dirty figure stepped in, splattered with mud.

Naoko's arm shook as she closed the case, never letting her eyes wander from the person who had just entered. "Ta... Tadashi, what happened to you?"

"... Nothing, Naachan." He smiled despite the bruises littering his face. Naoko's eyes followed him until he disappeared upstairs.

The girl slumped against the wall, tears forming in her eyes. She did not allow them to fall down her cheeks. "Nii-san... who did this to you?"

xXx

Naoko closed the door behind her and relished in the cold air hitting her face. She caught up with Tadashi, who was a few strides shy of the rooftop railing.

"Do you know their names, nii-san?" Naoko demanded, her brows furrowing. "The boys who hit you?"

"... No."

"Damn." Growling softly under her breath, she took out her bento and chopsticks. "I... I made you your favorite lunch today. Open it up."

Glancing down at his own bento for a moment, Tadashi squared his shoulders and opened up his lunch. Succulent pork curry and rice glistened under the sun. "Oh."

"Tadashi, what is it?" Naoko hugged her knees. "It... It's not just those boys bothering you, is it? Nii-san, you have to tell me what's wrong. How can I help you if you don't?"

Tadashi did not reply.

"Tadashi - "

"I saw him," her brother blurted, effectively cutting her off. "I saw Oikawa Tooru."

Who? thought Naoko, searching for a face to match the name. Now that I think about it, I've heard some of the girls in my class mention him from time to time... "Did Oikawa say something to you to make you feel bad?" From what she gathered, she doubted that he could be very pleasant.

"No. I-I don't know if he remembers me, but... I remember him. Kind of. He was in kindergarten with me. But you know... I don't remember much from childhood... but I think I remember him."

"Yeah? And?"

"I... I think I stole his toy spaceship once. Then he cried."

"That... That's it?" When Tadashi nodded, the corners of Naoko's mouth twitched upward. "Silly Tadashi. No need to get worked up over something so small. You were children. I doubt that he even remembers it."