The Prince's Waltz

A/N:  Merry Christmas everyone! Or Boxing Day, depending on where you are. Where I am, it is Boxing Day (:

xXx

The truth is, I've been lucky. But just like the waltz, life has its own rhythm of rise and fall.

Len Goodman

xXx

The first thing Midori did that morning when Naoko entered the drama club room was hastily bow to her and warble, "I'm sorryy! Forgive me, Naachan!" Tears were pouring out of her eyes in fountains and Naoko shifted uncomfortably when Midori went on her knees and touched her forehead to Naoko's shoes.

"Midori," Naoko started awkwardly, "it's... it's okay. I forgive you."

Instantly, the green-haired girl sprang up. "Oh, good!" She gave Naoko a tight hug. "Thank you so much! I know it was wrong of me but I was just so curious."

"I... see." Another hug? Why is hugging becoming such a common occurrence? Well, it wasn't like she minded so much anymore. Midori's hugs felt good, even though she practically crushed Naoko's breasts against her own. But Tooru's hugs feel even better

Naoko stiffened in Midori's arms. Where had that thought come from? ... It's not like I'm wrong or anything. He gave great hugs. That was it. End of story.

Finally, Midori let go, allowing Naoko's sore breasts to be liberated from their pain.

"Is Akane coming?" Katsumi suddenly asked as she flipped through her script. "She hasn't joined a club yet, right?"

"Nope." Midori shook her head sadly. "She said she doesn't wanna join a club... which is weird. Apparently, none of the clubs suit her."

"Of course they don't," Leiko piped up, her glasses positioned in a way that gave her a rather mysterious air. When everybody gave her a bemused glance, she raised an eyebrow and said, "Don't tell me none of you have figured out who she is yet?"

"Who?" Ayame ventured, cocking her head to one side. To them, Akane was just the token oddball in their little friendship group.

Toshio let loose a rather arrogant laugh. "I can't believe it! You really are all clueless." He gave a patronizing sigh. "Suppose I can't blame you. She's covered up her identity pretty well by pretending she's a weirdo."

"It's a pretty convincing act," Leiko added before frowning, "Or maybe she really is like that..."

"Oh, come on!" Toshio turned on her. "You can't honestly expect me to believe that a star like her is—"

"What are you talking about?" Katsumi wondered. "Akane is just Akane, right?"

"Wrong!" Toshio and Leiko chorused gleefully, looking like they were having the time of their life.

"What I want to know," Naoko said, staring at them, "is when you two got so close."

There was a period of silence.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Leiko answered nonchalantly.

"She's my girlfriend," Toshio sighed at the same time.

At that moment, Tachibana, the supervising drama teacher, chose to walk in, the clicking of her shoes becoming muffled as she walked into the room because of the carpet. She was holding a binder in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Seeing their shocked looks, she became confused. "Guys? What's going on?"