Wolfheart

The one who falls and gets up is stronger than the one who never tried. Do not fear failure but rather fear not trying.

Roy T. Bennett

xXx

"Shame..." She hummed in contemplation, tapping her blunt nails on the table. "How many yen do you need to raise again to keep the place open?"

"One million, but I've already managed to raise half," the woman sitting across from her replied, strands of red hair sticking out of her messy bun. She clapped her hands to get her and bowed to her. "Please! I don't know who else to turn to."

She sighed, pulling her scarf closer to her face. "Don't beg me, Yoko. I was going to do it anyway. But don't expect me to win. The Sendai Standoff is open to musicians of all different skill levels. Heck, I don't even think my skills will be enough to even be considered."

Yoko's jaw practically dropped to the floor. "Why not?! So what if you don't play an instrument?! What you do is a form of music too! Don't be so discouraged." She smacked her fist into her palm. "Everyone is either going to be singing or playing an instrument. But you... you're special. No one else can do what you can do." At her disbelieving face, Yoko giggled. "Looks like someone needs a cheer up session!"

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Naruto! Sasuke! Come here, boys!"

"Shit, wait —"

It was too late. She groaned as two adorably fluffy dogs jumped onto her lap and tugged at her hoodie sleeves.

Eventually, she gave in and stroked them lovingly with one hand. "Seriously, Yoko, their names are so lame."

"Hah?! What do you mean?! Naruto is a great anime!"

"Shouting in my ear isn't going to convince me. You're so loud sometimes, nee-chan..."

Yoko shook her head at her younger sister. "I gotta be loud to have my words penetrate your thick skull."

The girl raised her eyebrows. "Word of advice: Never use the words 'penetrate' and 'thick' in the same sentence."

"Gross! You're so dirty minded!" Yoko sighed in exasperation and leaned back in her chair, her hands behind her head. "No pressure, you know. Even if you don't win, I'll find another means to collect money for the shelter."

As if sensing Yoko's disappointment, Naruto and Sasuke padded over to her side and nudged her hand with wet noses. Absentmindedly, she patted their heads, not even flinching when they licked her fingers.

Her eyes flashed. "Don't be like that. I'm still going to be entering." She tapped her chin. "There are so many in the solo category though, and only about four or five in the group category..." She shrugged. "Oh well. I just gotta deal."

Yoko grinned. "That's my lil' sis!"

Smiling faintly, she stood and stretched, pushing her half-empty mug of hot cocoa aside. "I'll get going now. No use in sticking around. Gotta use my time to practice." She paused. "Also, I should probably submit an online entry."

As she left, Yoko's eyes never left her retreating figure. Once she was gone, Yoko turned back to the dogs and tickled their ears, earning a whine of ecstasy from both of them.

"What do guys think?" she asked them, scratching their ears. "Naruto, Sasuke... do you believe in Leiko too?"

xXx

She's doing something in there. Something important. Counting our debt? Applying for another job? Doing homework?

Naoko's closed front door had never looked to intimidating before. She had just gotten home from work and had locked herself in her bedroom.