Omake One: Tadashi

Akira's Lucky Rock

Young boys laughed as they marched alongside the babbling river, sticks in their hands and up in the air. An imaginary banner flapped in the wind, attached to Tadashi's stick as he led his team of grade school volleyball boys around the town.

"Okay, we stop here!" Tadashi declared, raising his stick even higher, a smile on his face. His eyes shone brightly as he observed the area. Nearby, there was a little used bridge that smelled a little weird. There were also some damaged sewer pipes sticking out of the hill.

"So gross," said his best friend, Akira, though he was still smiling from their travels down the river.

"Which is why I picked it," Tadashi said boastfully, dropping his stick onto the marshy ground. His pale blonde hair was tousled and there was a gap between his teeth in which in two front teeth had fallen off. The perfect picture of childhood innocence.

Makoshima Tadashi, at this moment, was nothing more than a young, adventurous boy hanging out with his friends. They were all the same age—or nearly the same age—as him. Ten and eleven years old, the majority finishing up their final year in elementary school.

"Lets lay down the picnic blanket," Akira suggested, ever the loyal wingman. Their friends began to do as they were told, talking excitedly amongst themselves. The blanket was lay down quickly and the group of boys instantly sat down upon it. The ground beneath was far too soft for comfort but none of that complained, even when it felt like the marshy riverbank would swallow them up.

Tadashi rubbed his hands together, grinning in anticipation like a Cheshire Cat. "Alright, first things first... presents!"

"Happy birthday, Tadashi!" His friends all cried, their words overlapping as they all presented him their gifts.

It was sweet really. Tadashi smile again, this time softer. Every single one of his friends had bought him a present.

... They really are my true friends, he thought, feeling his heart grow warm.

"Thank you, everyone," he said gratefully, watching with watery eyes as the boy's set down their presents in front of him. He lowered his gaze, trying to pretend that he was examining the quality of their parcels. Like hell he would ever let them see him cry. Not even Akira had that privilege yet.

As soon as the tears went away without falling from his eyes, Tadashi got to opening the presents. There was no cake, but some of the boys had brought snacks from home in plastic bags.

"Whoaaa! Latest ultraman figure?!" Some might argue he was getting a little too old for that kind of stuff, but he was absolutely smitten with the Japanese television series. "Thanks, Shirou?"

All of this gifts were very interesting, but the ultraman figure only had one contender as favorite gift: Akira's "lucky rock".

Basically, it was a rock with the kanji for Akira's name, "luck", and "rock" scribbled on it.

"At least try to hide the permanent marker," one boy said to Akira, fond exasperation in his voice.

"Akira, so kind!" Tadashi cried, hugging the rock close to him. "This was the best birthday ever...!"

"I'm glad." Akira grinned. "When you feel down, just look at that rock and think of me, okay?"

I will, Tadashi silently answered. I know that you'll always be by my side, Akira.

After all...

You're my best friend.

xXx

Years later, Naoko discarded the rock. Since then, it remained in the local landfill.

xXx

A/N: The first omake! Because every anime fanfic needs one and I had enough time on my hands to write this but not a full chapter.

Definitely inspired by Vasco's Birthday in the webtoon Lookism. It's seriously great and addresses a lot of major issues.

Don't remember who Akira is? Go back to chapter ten.