Half

The differences between a tart, a pie and a quiche are a blur.

Yotam Ottolenghi

xXx

"Oh my god," Sumire groaned as she wiped up the mess of raw egg contents on the floor with a cloth. "Whyy...!"

Sighing in frustration, Kageyama helped her up from her squatting position by effortlessly grabbing the collar of her uniform blouse. "What a clumsy dumbass," he scolded. "Be more careful next time!"

She glared at him, looking tempted to slap him across the face with the egg-stained rag. "Excuse me? You're the one who shoved me against the kitchen counter like there was no tomorrow!" Well, it hadn't been a bad experience. In fact, she had rather enjoyed it but she certainly wasn't going to tell Kageyama that. The feeling of his warm body pressed against her—

"Not my fault your face tends to attract dangerous things," he said snidely. "You are such a fucking dolt, it's not even funny!"

"Shut up! You asked for my help cooking for this darn thing so don't put all the blame on me! Maybe you should reconsider where you put your cookware next time if it falls like that."

"RUNT! TWIG! THIS IS MY MOTHER'S STUFF!"

"THEN TAKE SOME INITIATIVE AND HELP HER, MAMA'S BOY!" She turned his back to him to rinse off the soppy egg from the dishcloth. Sumire yelped in surprise when he grabbed her by the shirt collar and looked her dead in the eye. At the intensity of his stare, sweat began to accumulate on the nape of her neck.

"Don't call me that," he said, his voice soft and dangerous.

His forehead was practically pressed against hers and she swallowed.

"S-sorry..." she muttered just as the tip of her nose touched his.

At that, Kageyama retracted his death grip and leaned back on the refrigerator, his face still contorted into a harsh glare. But she was relieved that most of his vexes were now likely directed more to the actual breaking of the egg than anything else.

"It was just an egg," he muttered, sounding like he was trying to convince himself rather than Sumire. He looked up at her, his eyes noticeably warmer. He muttered something totally incoherent and she tilted her head to one side.

"Sorry, what? I didn't catch that."

"S-sorry..."

"Huh?"

"I said, sorry!" he spat at her, his face flushing slightly. "Are you deaf as well?!"

She stared at him in disbelief. "What you said before sounded nothing like anything even remotely close to sorry!" she protested, secretly glad that Kageyama was no longer so angry at her.

"You're just deaf!" he mocked, a tick mark appearing on his cheek. "I guess twigs don't have ears after all!"

"Shut up, Bakageyama!"

Out of irritation, he suddenly threw a white powder at Sumire, which he had produced from a nearby bag of flour.

Spluttering, Sumire wiped the substance from her eyes. "Did you just... throw flour at me?" Without waiting for an answer, she grabbed an egg that was randomly sitting on the counter at Kageyama. The egg splattered all over his shirt and he gawked at the stain.

Sumire snickered.

And Kageyama retaliated by throwing more powder at her, looking royally pissed (with just a hint of excitement and challenge in his eyes).