The Grand King and His Fool

Humor was a good way to hide the pain.

Rick Riordan

xXx

Naoko's stomach grumbled and she sighed, tired of repressing her hunger. As her belly continued to complain relentlessly, she turned to Tadashi, who was admiring the zelkova trees.

"Tadashi-nii, I'm going to go get some food," she told him. Her voice grew firm. "Stay here and don't talk to strangers unless they are elderly or children."

"Yes, Naachan," Tadashi replied, leaning against the closest zelkova trees. "Please don't take too long."

"Of course."

As Naoko walked away, she couldn't help but turned her head back multiple times, only stopping when Tadashi's blond head completely disappeared from her line of vision. He'll be fine, she reassured herself.

She approached the first food vendor, a man who was selling some delicious-smelling takoyaki. Licking her lips subtly, she nearly moaned in satisfaction at the wafting scents.

"Good morning," the shopkeeper said, smiling pleasantly. "How may I help you?"

"Five servings of takoyaki, please," Naoko answered, the money already in her hand. "With tempura sauce."

The man proceeded to whip up her order, whistling as he took the takoyaki out of the heating machine and put them in foam containers, each containing several of the savory balls. Then he, as the finishing touch, he drizzled tempura sauce on top of every single ball.

Naoko could hardly keep still as the man tantalizingly closed all of the hot, steaming containers and stacked them inside a plastic bag. Finally, he gave her another smile and gave her the bag.

About time! Hastily thanking him, she scurried off in a half-jog-half-run back to where she had left Tadashi waiting.

"Did I take long?" Naoko asked, looking up at her brother.

"No," he reassured. "What did you get?"

"Takoyaki for all of us. Do you have any idea where Sumire went? She hasn't eaten anything either."

"Last I checked, she was headed to where all the game stalls are," Tadashi informed. "The ones where you win prizes at."

Naoko nodded slowly, the bag of takoyaki swaying back and forth on her arm. "Okay, okay... we'll eat here. I'll eat one box and you can eat two. Leave the last two boxes for Sumire." She pulled out her phone from her jeans pocket, tapping away on the keys before announcing, "She'll be here soon." She was about to put her phone away when it buzzed, a new message having arrived.

Eh? From Oikawa?

Well, it had to be, as that's what the ID read. Plus, he used at least two emoticons to convey one message: That he was on his way over and had somehow managed to guess that they were around the snack area. Yes, she decided, this was definitely Oikawa and not some yandere imposter.

Oikawa... or Tooru? She shifted uncomfortably. He seemed to enjoy it much more when she addressed him by his first name but "Oikawa" just rolled off the tongue better for her. Hope he doesn't mind when he realizes that I'm going to start calling him Oikawa again. And if he does, then too bad.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Tadashi announced, standing up and striding off.

"Okay."

Tadashi had still not returned when Naoko finished her share of takoyaki. She packed up and was going to go after him when something—or rather, someone—stopped her from doing so. If she hadn't been paying attention, she would have walked straight into his torso.