Her Majesty's Tumble

What the devil's a king but a man, or a queen but a woman?

Maxwell Anderson

xXx

Ryouta Rin stalked across the grass and to the nearest bathroom block, where she was almost certain that Mizushima was hiding.

"Oi!" she shouted into the girl's restroom. "Tsubaka, you in there?!"

A sniffle.

Ryouta didn't really have time for this bullshit. She stormed right into the ladies' bathroom and glared at the only closed stall. "Get out here right now! We're next and we need you with us, dumbass!"

"Stop it!" Mizushima shouted from her stall, her voice thick with mucus and whatnot. "Stop insulting me! Go away!"

"Ugh!" Ryouta snarled under her breath. "Listen, Tsubaka—er, Tsubaki—I'm sorry, okay? Now will you come out now?"

"... No."

"Hah?! Why not?!"

"Because you don't mean it!"

Mizushima was getting far too insufferable and mouthy for Ryouta's taste. But even the stubborn Concertmaster knew that she wouldn't be successful if she were to continue aggravating the piggy.

Perhaps it was time to take a gentler approach. She cringed and said, "Come out... when you're ready."

Then she left Mizushima by herself, hoping that she wasn't too suspiciously out of character. Otherwise, Mizushima would figure out that Ryouta was merely toying with her again to benefit herself.

Well, she wouldn't be wrong, Ryouta supposed. She was well aware of her own condescending, bitchy attitude. It was part of her character and if people didn't like that part of her, too bad.

Ryouta huffed as she marched backstage to a fretting Susumu, flipping her orange hair over her shoulder.

"I don't know if she's coming or not," Ryouta admitted, the horrified looks of her hand mates ticking her off. "But the show must go on; with or without her! I will not let some irrelevant piggy get in the way of my stardom."

"Don't you mean our stardom?" Akiko—Aki—drawled.

Ryouta chose not to hear Akiko at that moment.

"Did you find her?" Naoko asked, her gaze flicking toward a fuming Ryouta.

"What's it to you?" Ryouta snapped, gnashing her teeth. "Come to rub it in my face or something?!"

"Of course not. It's a shame that you think everyone is just like you."

"You... You dare?!" Ryouta raised her hand, ready to slap the living daylights out of this insolent bitch.

"Oh, girls!" An overweight stage manager rushed toward them and Ryouta immediately put her hand down, flushing and casting Naoko a dark look. She would get what was coming to her later. "Are you Shiratorizawa Academy's orchestra? Because you're on immediately after this group's performance."

Ryouta bit her lip. "Er—yes. How much time do I have to prepare?"

"Eh? About five minutes give or take." He gave them a thumbs up and waddled away. "Good luck, girls!"

As Ryouta plastered on a falsely cheerful grin and waved the director off, she noticed out of the corner of her eye that Naoko was giving her a grim look.

"What?!" she snapped. "Got something to say to me?"

"Do you have something to say to me?" Her eyes darkened. "If not, get lost."