Princes of Piano

I spoke up for her because she couldn't speak for herself.

Naoko Makoshima

xXx

"... And that's all for today's solo category!" A.R.I.A boomed into her headset, smiling. "Feel free to take a stand up and take a walk around during this intermission. The group's category will begin in ten minutes!"

In her seat, Naoko stretched, feeling her bones popping. "That was... tedious."

Most of the soloists that had chosen to do singing hadn't done that great. In fact, they only served to make Leiko's performance look even better. The ones that had played an instrument, on the other hand, went far beyond the former's skill level.

"Tell me about it," sighed Sumire, shaking her arms to remove the numbness. "I can't even feel my butt anymore. Thank god they're letting us stand."

They had just managed to get out into the open where a lot of the other contestants were gathered when a figure swept past the others and stopped in front of them. Sumire stiffened and became wide-eyed as Charlene Cho regarded them with a graceful smile.

"Hello," she said. "I was very impressed by what you did earlier. May I have the pleasure of knowing your name?"

Sumire's jaw practically dropped to the floor at Cho's request.

"I suppose," Naoko answered cautiously, frowning slightly. What did Charlene Cho want with them? Why would she even talk to them at all? She was a superstar and they were... well... mundane, to put it simply. "My name is Makoshima Naoko." Then, remembering that Cho was born in the west, flushed and corrected, "Naoko Makoshima."

Cho seemed to notice her mild discomfort and giggled. "It's fine. Don't let my background influence yours. That wouldn't be very fair. But I'm curious, Makoshima-chan, what exactly possessed you to stand up to Souma? Is Park-chan your friend? You certainly gave off the impression that you know her back there."

"Ah." Naoko shook her head. "I know her, yes, but we are not friends. Far from that, actually. She seems to find pleasure in antagonizing almost everyone she knows or meets, and I'm no exception."

"Oh, I see." Cho looked slightly confused. "Then why did you do it? If you don't like her."

Sumire had to turn away at that point. The Charlene Cho was talking to her sister! And Naoko was acting like it was no big deal! How?! Sumire screeched inside her head, hoping she didn't look like she was having some sort of panic attack. Oh my gawwd.

"It's true I don't like her..." Naoko brows knitted together in concentration, caught a bit off guard by her question. "But... not even she deserves what happened to her. Especially since she wasn't there and therefore wasn't able to speak in her own defense. I spoke up for her because she couldn't speak for herself." She snorted softly. "And Souma-san's reasoning... was less than reasonable to put it politely. No offence, Cho-san."

"None taken," Cho reassured her, her eyes twinkling. "Souma can be very cold and harsh. There's no point in denying that. I don't necessarily agree with all his thought processes and methods..."

As she was no longer facing the rising star, Sumire got a good view of what seemed to be some kind of confrontation between the Shiratorizawa girls and Mizushima. But this time, it looked as if Mizushima was no longer playing the role of the doormat. Mostly because she was actually shouting and looking pissed off. Prior to this, Sumire couldn't even begin to imagine sweet, shy Mizushima get annoyed let alone angry.