Nearly That Time Of Year Again

Christmas makes me happy no matter what time of year it comes around.

Bryan White

xXx

The members of the Student Council had many responsibilities that came with their positions. They served as hallway monitors, student leaders, and organizers or co-organizers for important school events.

As Student President, Fujikawa Haruka often felt that she had double the responsibility at times. Everybody looked up to her as a leader and she often freaked out about her duties to Toshio in private. The class representative had been a great help, especially with the annual Christmas party planning.

Thanks to everyone's combined efforts, the planning for the party was going smoothly.

"Tomorrow's the day!" Haruka said cheerfully as she and Toshio walked down the corridor and out of the school gates. She had opened up significantly to her new friends, and was no longer stuttering or blushing around them as much.

"Actually," Toshio corrected with a sweatdrop, "tomorrow's Saturday... which means you're going to have to wait until Monday since we don't have school on the weekend. Obviously."

"Oh." Haruka deflated slightly before peeking up again. "Oh well, that's okay! I just can't wait. I already have four classes signed up to help with the decorating. That's more than enough people."

She had been pleased to know that that most of her friends were in those classes, including Naoko (she and Haruka were in the same class, actually!), Akane, Anzu, Leiko, and Toshio.

As they walked out of the school gates and went their separate ways, Haruka smiled to herself, her cheeks a rosy pink from the cold. It was snowing lightly and the streets were covered with snow from earlier nights with heavier snowfall.

It was beautiful. A winter wonderland, one could say. Haruka almost wanted to flop onto the ground and make a snow angel. But such things were expected of children, not teenagers in their second year of high school.

"Hey, Haru-chan!" a familiar voice called, and Haruka turned to see Naoko and Anzu walking up toward her, both of them wearing scarves and earmuffs to protect themselves from the chill.

Naoko and Anzu had grown more tolerant of each other. The first year Akane had rubbed off significantly on Anzu, and the latter was no longer so insufferable, even choosing to stop pursuing Oikawa's affections. She often complained that "it's all Akane's fault", but everybody knew that there was no real malice in the comment and she was merely putting up a front. Well, she hadn't changed completely. People just tolerated her more.

Almost everyone was pleased to report that Naoko had started opening up and warming up to her friends as well. She wasn't as hard to approach as she had been when she had first transferred to Aobajosai in June.

"We're heading downtown for a bite to eat," Naoko informed Haruka. Her voice was still relatively cool and toneless, but Haruka had been around her enough to notice the dash of color that was now present in her manner of speaking.

"It's my uncle's restaurant," Anzu added rather snobbishly, smirking, "so we can all eat for free. See? This is just one of the many benefits there are when you're friends with me!"

"The cons outweigh the benefits," Naoko said rather bluntly, giving the red-haired third year a sideways glance.

"Shut up, cave lady! At least I have class!"

"Sure, I'll come," Haruka agreed, smiling. "But don't you have work, Naachan?" Every time Naoko was invited out after school, she was always decline politely, saying that she had work. She wasn't lying; they had come to visit her at the maid cafe she worked in a few times. Personally, Haruka thought the butler uniform Naoko wore was very stylish and professional.