Thread's End

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

Lao Tzu

xXx

"I'm assuming that you'll want to watch an alien movie?" Naoko asked as she took off her jacket and hung it behind the laundry door. Sumire had probably gone upstairs to change into her sleepwear; same went for Tadashi.

"You know me so well, Mako-chan," Oikawa responded as he made himself comfortable on the family couch in the living room, where the television was in his direct line of vision. "Any recommendations?" He had seen pretty much every movie that was alien related, but it was only fair to give Naoko a turn.

Naoko shook her head. "We... actually don't have any alien movies. Tadashi and Sumire are the only ones that actually watch TV, so we'll have to pick something out from their collection. Tadashi is into kaiju movies and Sumire likes romance and drama."

"Do you have Pacific Rim?" Oikawa asked immediately.

She shrugged. "If it's got kaiju in it, then probably."

Sumire descended from the stairs, dressed in a pair of long, baggy sweatpants and a plain grey sweater. "Are we watching a movie?"

"Yep," Oikawa said, "Mako-chan is putting on Pacific Rim for us."

Though she never explicitly agreed to his suggestion, she hadn't exactly objected either. She was digging through a box with a few stacks of DVDs in it, looking for the one that Oikawa wanted.

"Pacific Rim?" Sumire echoed before throwing herself on the couch, curling up into a ball at Oikawa's right side. "Sounds good to me." Hinata was also relatively into kaijus as well as other behemoths like titans from the famed anime, and she had heard the movie name thrown about a few times by the boy. "This ought to be good..."

"It is," Oikawa affirmed, an excited, boyish grin on his face.

Tadashi arrived to join them next, dressed in a white cotton tee and checkered pants. "Naachan? Aren't you going to change too?"

"In a minute," Naoko answered. "Let me just find..." She pulled out a disc contained in an elaborate plastic sleeve. "Here it is." She gave the disc to Tadashi to start up the movie before she went upstairs to change. "Sumire, go see if we have any popcorn! If we do, make some."

"Okay, nee-chan!" Sumire got out of her spot beside Oikawa to do as her sister had ordered, leaving Tadashi and Oikawa in the room.

Awkwardly, Tadashi sat as far as he could from Oikawa at the furthest end of the couch after putting in the movie, taking the remote with him.

"Dashi-chan~" Oikawa snuck him a glance. "I never knew you liked kaiju."

Laughing sheepishly, Tadashi rubbed the back of his head. "Y-yeah, well, I do... mostly because of how much I love Ultraman."

Next to the sofa were a pile of gifts that Tadashi had received from his friends and family, still unopened. Feeling like he needed to distance himself from Oikawa, Tadashi reached over the arm of the couch and grabbed a random gift.

"Want to help me unwrap?" Tadashi asked Oikawa meekly.

He shrugged. "Sure." Oikawa peeled himself away from the couch and sat on the carpeted floor, near the presents. Grabbing one from the pile, he began to unwrap silently, Tadashi doing the same.

"I really am sorry, you know," Tadashi blurted, unable to maintain the quiet. "For everything."

Oikawa looked up at where he was sitting. "Yeah?"