Disillusionment

Small talk is unneeded if the words you speak are meaningless. Tell me; do you really care about today's weather? I didn't think so.

- Shinji Hayashi

xXx

"Hoookay!" Katsumi clapped her hands together. "I suggest we get started by doing a few warm up performances! What do you say, guys?"

A few of the drama club members nodded in agreement, the only unenthusiastic ones being Leiko and Naoko, and, to some extent, the passive Shinji.

Her hair bounces when she does, Naoko noticed, sweatdropping at her own observation. How odd...

While Naoko and Shinji did not actively object to Katsumi's suggestion, Leiko certainly did, expressing her displeasure in one word as well.

"No."

Toshio rolled his eyes. "Oh, here we go."

It's like a cycle, Naoko thought numbly as she watched Leiko and Toshio get into another one of their animated fights. Katsumi tried to pull them apart but to no avail, leaving Ayame to step in with that stern leader look on her face. To the side, Tachibana was regarding them with a small smile. She would only step in if she needed to. Right now, Ayame had everything under control.

Naoko quietly accepted her role as Midori screeched with excitement. The ravenette blinked at the paper, her eyes scanning each word. According to the sheet Katsumi had given her, Naoko was supposed to play the role of a love struck princess.

"Gee," a very irritating voice drawled. Leiko looked over Naoko's shoulder, ignoring the frosty look that the latter gave her. "They couldn't have given you a less suitable role."

Oh? And what exactly does she mean by that?

"I mean," Leiko continued, smirking. "Look at you. You're so detached... from, well, everything."

"Leiko," Ayame warned. "That's enough. This is only this morning's warm up exercises so it's not anything permanent. I'm sure Naoko will be able to pull it off just fine."

Frankly, Naoko didn't need or want Ayame to stand up for her, but she was grateful for the purple haired girl's intervention anyway. She didn't really feel like taking Leiko on for a verbal spar right about now. Both of their tongues were sharp and their words could be toxic. Naoko didn't need that so early in the morning.

"It looks like I'm first," Midori said, smiling excitedly. Naoko glanced down at her paper. Midori was playing the role of a servant.

As they went through the script, Naoko put minimal effort into her part, mainly because she had no idea how to get into the shoes of a lovestruck young woman. Even when Toshio's character tried to serenade her, Naoko blandly recited her response.

She sighed through her nose. It was definitely too early in the morning for this. Honestly, she might actually prefer putting up with Oikawa at this point.

xXx

"How has everyone been?" asked Dr. Hamilton, smiling kindly at all three of them. When they only gave him terse, slow nods, he turned to Sumire. "Sumire-chan, how has life been treating you lately? Are you still taking your violin lessons?"

"Yeah," Sumire replied, crossing her legs in a 'criss-cross apple sauce' position. "I'm still taking lessons with Kororo-sensei, though it's getting to the point where all my music pieces are starting to blend into one big mashup."