Kagoshima

Contemporary ramen is totally different than what most Americans think ramen should be. Ramen is not one thing; there are many, many different types.

David Chang

xXx

"Kagoshima Ramen Place?" Kageyama echoed from the other side of the phone, his voice slightly muffled as it came through the receiver. "It's... it's so expensive! What the hell are you trying to pull?!"

"Silly, Tobio-chan," Sumire replied, smirking. "You really had no idea just what you were getting into, did you?"

"Fuck you."

"I'll pass," she said, before realizing just what had come out of her mouth. Swiftly, she added, "Where are you now?" Thank god he's not here. Her face was absolutely burning up, even in the early autumn chill. Thankfully, being the dense brick he was, Kageyama likely didn't catch on to that little innuendo.

Kageyama named the street he was currently at and Sumire nodded slowly. "You're close," she told him. "Just five minutes away from me... Want to race to the restaurant?"

"You're on, you smug twig."

Sumire hung up just as she heard a yell from the distance. She whipped her head around, her eyes widening at the sight of Kageyama full-on sprinting to her position. With no time to waste, she started to move her legs as well, screeching as Kageyama gained ground on her.

"What the hell?!" she shouted at him as she ran. "How did you cover so much distance in literally seconds?!"

"My legs are long, scrub!" he sneered at her as he easily passed her, ruffling her hair as he did so. "Too bad!"

"COME BACK HERE RIGHT NOW! THIS IS NO WAY TO TREAT YOUR GUEST, DUMBASS!"

"WE'RE NOT IN THE RESTAURANT YET, TECHNICALLY YOU'RE NOT MY GUEST!" Kageyama called back. "CAN'T HANDLE LOSING, CAN YOU?!"

Suddenly, a shop door opened and a balding man emerged, ticked off. "HEY! SHUT UP!"

Startled, Sumire tripped over herself and flew right into Kageyama's back, sending them both to the ground. Hurriedly, they got up and brushed themselves off, their hair sticking out in some places.

"Sorry," Kageyama apologized to the man.

But the man rudely slammed the door shut on him.

"Nice going, asshole," Sumire grumbled as she rubbed a sore spot on her elbow.

"Hah! Says you, twig. I'm surprised someone as small and thin as you can contain such a large pair of lungs."

She blinked at him. "Is Tobio-kun finally using different ways to insult people?"

He whacked her upside the head gently. "Shut up, runt."

"Ah, there we go."

He hit her again and she giggled, swatting his arm away.

"It's so goddamn cold," Kageyama complained, wrapping his scarf tighter around his neck. "Let's hurry up and go inside already."

"Where did you leave your egg?" Sumire questioned.

Kageyama patted his bag. "In there somewhere."

Sumire stared at him in disbelief. "You're joking, right?!"

"No? Why?"

"Gah!" Sumire groaned. "You're so irresponsible. What if it broke in there or something? Then you and your partner will fail. Speaking of, why doesn't she have it? Surely, she's got to be better at taking care of it than you." As she spoke, she unzipped his sports bag and removed the egg, sighing in relief when she saw that there were no cracks on the shell.