Breaking

I miss you sometimes. We all do. Even when she says she doesn't have time to care, she still misses you. Despite her hard exterior, Naoko-nee has a really big heart. It just makes it all the harder for the bruises to heal.

- Sumire Makoshima to unknown

Don't make eye contact. Keep your shoulders squared and your back straight. Don't draw any unnecessary attention to yourself; not in class; not in the hallways; not anywhere.

Be invisible.

With a slow gait, Tadashi and Naoko approached the gates of Aobajosai, the latter occasionally flashing concerned glances at the former. They walked into the school building in comfortable silence. Small talk was unnecessary in their relationship.

Don't make eye contact.

He caught the gaze of a few gossiping girls.

I said don't make eye contact.

They averted their eyes from him. All but one.

The big blue eyes of a vicious demon fixed her gaze on him. Even as he passed her, he could feel her irises burning the back of his head.

"If she tries anything, she's dead," Naoko murmured loud enough for only Tadashi to here her. She looked up at him. "You hear me, Tadashi? I won't let Izumi get away if she tries to hurt you."

He did not respond.

So Naoko pulled out the sheet of listed clubs from the folder she carried in the crook of one arm. She scanned them once, then twice, then handed them over to Tadashi. "The school is getting impatient, nii-san," she said with a hint of worry in her voice. "Club activities count as a class. All we've done so far is help the teachers by doing odd jobs. Inoue-sensei is putting pressure on me to decide. How is Sato-sensei treating you?"

"He's been asking," Tadashi admitted. "I'm certain he's going to make me choose today, whether I've decided on anything or not."

"We can talk more about this over lunch," Naoko decided just as the bell rang. "I'll see you later, nii-san. Stay safe, okay?"

"Okay."

As Naoko disappeared into the crowd fluidly, Tadashi trudged up the flight of stairs leading up to the third year classrooms, praying that he wouldn't run into anyone unpleasant. Thankfully, Izumi had gone the other direction and he would be safe in his classroom before she would go to her own.

Izumi... I can't believe she's here. He flinched as someone brushed past him on his blind side, wincing when he heard them turn their head to look at him strangely. Suddenly, he felt the stick embedded into his eye socket all over again. Tadashi hoisted his shoulder strap and shivered, resisting the urge to pat his unseeing eye. It was a miracle that he had not had to get it surgically removed.

When Naoko had caught him trying to spoon out his own eye, she ended up locking up all the cutlery for a year. Even now, she always gave him a look when he took out any eating utensil from the kitchen drawers.

Tadashi's phone buzzed in his pocket and he stopped in front of his classroom, figuring he could spare a few seconds to check his messages. He knew that they were either from Naoko, Sumire or Dr. Hamilton, the American therapist that had moved to Japan a few years ago start up his own practice in Miyagi. Sure enough, it was from Dr. Hamilton.

Tadashi-san, it read, Could you and Naoko-san please drop by my office after school today? It doesn't matter what time - I'm available all day. It would also be good if Sumire-san could come as well. It's been a while since you all last saw me and I would like to discuss whatever matters you have. Regards, Dr. Hamilton.