The Queen's Downfall

Naoko watched Emiko fumble over the technology as she and her best friends (a pair of twins whose names Naoko did not know) set up the needed machinery. A few minutes later, they stepped back from the wires and the large screen on stage flickered to life. Emiko stood to the side, looking faintly smug.

The Student President dipped her chin, locking gazes with Naoko.

As the video had nearly finished buffering, Emiko began to narrate, likely having practiced the entire thing at home. She could be dedicated when the time came.

"The story begins with a very special girl. In fact, she happens to go to our school. Let's give a huge round of applause for - "

"Emiko Watanabe, you stop right now!"

Emiko whipped around, her eyes widening with horror as she saw herself and more girls on the screen. "What the? What is this?! This isn't the video!" She turned to the audience for help. "Um, technical difficulties everyone!" She loudly stage-whispered, "Yo, twins! Turn it off!"

The twins exchanged one glance. Then they backed away.

For the first time in her life, Emiko looked to be truly alone. Even the twins had abandoned her. She looked to the teachers for help but they were whispering amongst themselves, one voicing that they should let the video play.

"That's it! I don't care if I get in trouble, but this video is not playing!" Emiko stormed over to the player and pushed the twins aside, only to find another obstacle in her way. Her eyes brimmed with fury as she regarded the smaller second year in front of her. "You!"

Naoko didn't flinch. "It's not fun, is it? To be on the receiving end of all this?" She gestured to the cold, callous faces of the audience. Emiko took one look at their accusing eyes and stiffened.

"What goes around comes around," Naoko stated gravely. "People like you always get their comeuppance. Don't take a step further. The video will play and people will see you for what you truly are."

"You little bitch!" Emiko screeched, trying to shove her out of the way. But Naoko reached out and grabbed her by the collar. Emiko's glasses slipped down her nose as she was lifted off the ground.

"The video will play," Naoko affirmed. "And there's nothing you can do about it."

"Enough!" barked one of the teachers. "Makoshima-san, get back in line. Watanabe-san, you will stand back and let this play out."

Naoko scoffed and dropped Emiko on the ground none to gently, walking back over to where she had been standing just moments before.

"Pathetic," she murmured, casting her gaze downward.

The video played. It was not a very pretty sight. It turned out that Emiko hadn't been very careful as she continually abused her power as well as other students. There were glimpses of others as well, including a blonde Naoko swore was Izumi, but none of their faces were clear enough to incriminate them.

Naoko's disgust for Emiko grew as she watched her bully others into submission. And then came the next part of the video.

"I was her first victim. Before she met the twins, we were best friends in middle school. When Emiko and I entered high school, I decided that I would dedicate more time to my studies. Emiko wasn't very happy about my decision as ostracized me for it. She used her position as a class representative to isolate me from my peers. Who am I, you may ask? My name is Hamasaki Fumiko and I was the first one."

The screen cut to another girl, the lighting now dark enough to conceal her features. "A-ah, hello... I'd rather not reveal my identity... but Emiko caught me in a bathroom once and said she didn't like the way I looked. She said I was fat and ugly and shoved my head down a toilet with the help of her friends. Umm, she left me alone after that, though. But it was a scary experience. I'm glad that I'm not important enough for her to go after me."