CHAPTER 39

Chapter 39: Families. 

-------------

"Large families can be tiring" 

| A N O N |

---------------

Amyrah set on the couch in her room, her hair wrapped up in a towel for it to dry (because she was a genius to forget her hairdryer at home in Canada and she borrowed her cousins while she was there), silently staring at the blank TV screen. 

She was remembering what being with Kayan felt like. All these feelings were new to her. All these changes she was going through was new to her and at times it felt too fast for her to cope with. 

Breaking her terrain of thoughts, a knock came at the door. Immediately Amyrah looked down at her clothes. She was wearing a floral black mumu dress with black leggings. As much as she wanted to wear tees, she knew people would be coming in and going out of her room. 

"Coming" 

She got up hurriedly, pulled off the towel from her hair and grabbed the nearest hijab, wrapping it around her head on the way. She opened the door and saw her mother-in-law smiling at her. 

"Ah salaam Qaidah Aunty" she said and Qaidah replied, as she walked into the room. 

The two walked to the couch and took a seat, Qaidah on the long one while Amyrah adjacent to her. 

"Amyrah, is your hair wet?" asked Qaidah, looking over her head and Amyrah smiled slightly and nodded. 

"Why did you not blow dry them? you could catch a cold like this!" scolded Qaidah and Amyrah smiled sheepishly. 

"I forgot my dryer back home" she said, looking away and Qaidah chuckled. 

"Borrow it from Kulthum, I think she would be glad to do so" she said and Amyrah nodded. 

By now, she was fidgeting with her thumbs. She was nervous as to why her mother-in-law was in her room. 

"Oh right, I am here to ask you something" Qaidah said, and Amyrah nodded, looking down at her hands. 

"How are you doing?" 

The question caught her off guard. She looked up to Qaidah who smiled brightly at her. 

"What- What do you mean?" Amyrah asked and Qaidah chuckled. She got up and took a seat beside Amyrah and took her hand with hers.

"Amyrah, I know what a girl goes through after marriage" She explained and Amyrah heaved a deep breath. Finally someone understood what she felt. 

"-Its not all about your husband. Its about his family and how you are going to adapt to it. I know Kayan and you are well acquainted from Canada" she smirked at the latter, causing Amyrah to blush slightly. 

"-But this family is quite large. You have only met Kayan's own siblings, and his nuclear family. When we return to Australia, you will meet more. Some of mine and others of his father. The family is quite big and would not cover in one go, but its important that you know them. With time, you will. Because Kayan, well Kayan is Kayan. He is well known by all of the families around the world because he meets them every chance he gets. Sure he can be arrogant and egoistic to most people but to his own, he is soft and gentle" Qaidah explained. 

Amyrah nodded, surprised how much her mother-in-law could relate to her. 

"-You will be the oldest daughter-in-law of the family because Kayan is the oldest amongst all his other cousins" she said and Amyrah nodded.