Chapter 4

Nya grunted and kicked the other two away, clutching the map close to her chest. Cole grabbed her ankle tightly and yanked her back, sending her sliding across the ground.

"You didn't have to pull her that hard!" Jay hissed, shoving Cole away as he struggled to get up.

"Not my fault I have superhuman strength!" Cole shot back, glancing at Nya. "Go grab her! And you better run as fast as you can talk, Jay!"

Nya swallowed and scrambled up, shoving her way through the skeletons. A few of them attempted to grab her by the strings of her apron, but she was running so quickly that their arms popped off and fell to the ground. Shuddering, she tried to ignore the gruesome sight and ran as quickly as she could.

Unfortunately, she wasn't fast enough. A shock blasted all throughout her body, and in a flash, Jay pinned her to the ground and held a dagger to her throat.

"You better give me that map." He huffed. "My boss, your precious big brother, isn't gonna be happy if we come back empty-handed."

"K-Kai?" She whispered, her stomach sinking and her heart pounding quickly. Was he lying? There was no way her hero-worshipping brother would be leading these awful people.

"Uh, duh." Jay rolled his eyes. "He's Garmadon's little bitch. I figured you'd know by now. He's kind of a big deal." He knocked her back again. "Now, give me what I want and I'll let you keep your head."

Nya tightened her grip on the map. Jay narrowed his eyes, and right when the blade was about to slice her skin, a flash of golden light flashed in front of her, sending Jay flying away and screaming, mapless. Nya shut her eyes, the light blinding her.

When she opened her eyes, Nya watched in amazement as Wu emerged from a tornado of golden light, slowly spinning to a halt.

"Nya, are you alright?" He asked, helping her up.

"I-I'm fine. I have the map." She loosened her grip on it and held it out to Wu.

Right as she was about to hand it to him, a large skeleton with a sword in each of his four arms charged towards Wu. Nya gasped and tried to push the old man out of the way, but someone else pinned her arms behind her back. Their arms didn't feel like a skeleton's or a human's. They felt... mechanical?

Nya turned around, and her mouth fell open when she discovered her captor was an android. He looked human, but his eyes glowed a deep red, and one of them had the skin around it torn off, revealing his mechanical features.

"Hello, Miss Nya." Despite his terrifying appearance, he spoke in a gentle, polite voice. "I apologize, but I may have to exterminate you if you do not hand me the map."

"Remain strong, Nya!" Wu called out to her as he fought off the skeleton. "I'll be there in one second." Instantly, Wu kicked the skeleton in the face and rushed towards her.

The android sighed and touched the hand that Nya was holding the map in. In an instant, her hand began to freeze. Nya screamed out in pain, her hand going numb. I-I can't feel anything! She thought, panicked. Wait, was she still holding the map?!

Nya was suddenly pushed to the ground before she could figure out the answer. The skeleton laughed, rushing towards the android, who was holding the map out proudly. "Excellent work, Zane!" He rushed towards an array of vehicles and cried out. "Everyone retreat!"

Growling in frustration, Nya clutched her hand and ran towards the retreating army, but soon collapsed to the floor, tearing up.

"Nya!" Wu quickly appeared by her side, reaching out to take her hand. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry..." Nya whispered, wiping her tears. "I wasn't strong enough. I'm so sorry..."

Wu shook his head. "No, Nya, this was not your fault." He held her hand. "I will fetch you some tea to heal your injuries."

Nya sighed. "No, I'm okay, I promise." She looked down. "What are we going to do, Sensei? How can I grow stronger? I want to help, but I'm just a blacksmi-"

"You are an elemental master in the making, Nya." Wu helped her up. "You will train with me and learn to control your powers."

"... Will I be able to see my brother again?" She asked quietly, looking at Wu. "Will I be able to... help him?"

Wu smiled softly. "Thankfully your brother has not strayed too far from the light. There is still good in him, I can sense it." His smile fell. "But I fear the longer we wait, the more corrupted he will become. My brother has the other elemental masters under his control, and I fear the worst for them and your brother as well."

"Were they the humans that fought alongside the skeletons? I mean, they were all humans aside from the android..."

Wu nodded. "Yes. Unfortunately I was far too late when I sought their help. Garmadon had already found them first and turned them towards evil, promising them their deepest desires... I fear your brother was the one who found them and convinced them to help."

Nya teared up. "No, not my brother... Kai would never..."

"I know, Nya, I am terribly sorry." Wu touched her shoulder. "I'm glad I found you, however. I have full faith that you will be the one to bring the other masters to the light... and perhaps you'll soften my brother's heart as well."

Nya stood up straight, taking in a deep breath. "Okay. I'm ready, Sensei." She bowed. "When do I start?"