Chapter 11

"He really abused you?" Nya asked softly, stroking Jay's hand.

Jay shook his head. "He didn't abuse me, he disciplined me."

Nya sighed, squeezing his hand. "No, Jay. He abused you. You trusted him and he completely turned on you. He hurt you and gave you that scar."

"Scars." Jay corrected quietly. "That's the only one visible right now. There were plenty more times like that. I was the one that got the short end of the stick, the one that always got beaten up..." He covered his face and sighed heavily. "I must sound so weak right now. You must be embarrassed for me."

"No." Nya shook her head, gently moving his head to meet her eyes. "Listen to me, Jay. What my brother did, what the others did, it wasn't your fault. None of it. They should be ashamed for their actions, and you shouldn't blame yourself for anything; in all honesty, Jay, I'm proud that you were able to become the bigger person and you didn't follow their path."

Jay smiled faintly at her. "Kai's your brother, Nya. I'm sure you don't like the fact that I'm talking shit about him."

"The last time I saw Kai, he was nine years old. Anyone can change drastically in that amount of time, especially in his circumstances." She glanced to the side. "I loved my brother back then, but after hearing everything... after my dream..." She held her face. "I just don't know anymore."

Jay hugged her tightly. "It's gonna be okay, Nya. Let's just try to focus on our task ahead. I think we're almost there."

"Oh, yeah, that's right." She mumbled into his chest before getting up. She walked outside with Jay and met Sensei on the deck, suddenly wondering if he suspected anything between the two.

"Jay, I sense you had a sudden change of heart." Sensei spoke, turning around and smiling.

"You- You did?" Jay asked, dumbfounded. "I mean, yeah, I did. I'm going to fight for N- for you guys."

Sensei chuckled with a knowing look in his eyes before approaching him. "I appreciate this, Jay. I know that Garmadon has trained you in your element already and you know how to fight, but I still need to get you your gi."

Jay smiled painfully. "Oh right. That makes me a ninja"

Nya giggled at his reaction and helped Sensei steer the boat to the shore. She stared into the forest ahead of them, noticing a cloud of thick smoke in the distance. "Is there a fire?" She asked uneasily. From now on, fire would equal her brother.

"A volcano." Sensei clarified. "It houses a temple, protecting the Sword of Fire, as well as an entrance into the Underworld."

Nya glanced at Jay worriedly, who had his head down. "So we're much closer to my brother than ever, which must mean Lord Garmadon is right there with them." She drew in a shaky breath before turning to Sensei. "What do we do?"

"For now, we'll set up camp halfway and get our rest." Sensei walked off of the boat and let the others follow him. "We have a long battle ahead of us, my students."

Nya saw Jay smile at his new title out of the corner of her eye. "Shouldn't we fight now?" She asked worriedly. "What if they bring the battle to us?"

"They are at their most powerful in the Underworld." Sensei clarified. "Lord Garmadon is trapped there, as well. We must bring the battle to them."

Jay helped Nya down from the dock. "We better get to that midpoint soon, then."

The three of them advanced in the woods until they heard a faint rustling sound. They grabbed their weapons, prepared to take on anything.