Chapter 32

((*** Trigger warning: implied sexual assault))

Nya sighed, knowing she'd have to show the others her jetpack in order to make her stories a little more plausible. While Jay's storm glider did work when they were practicing, she relied instead on her mech and her jetpack. She hated being so dishonest, especially towards Jay and Sensei, but this was the life she chose, no matter how hard she wanted to escape.

"So, um, this is something I built up." She lifted up the jetpack, letting the others (minus Zane, who was still out watching Lloyd) pass it around. "I knew I needed something, in case of an emergency. Plus it's a good stand-in vehicle until I build one for myself."

"This is so cool, Nya!" Jay beamed, running his hands along the smooth chrome. Thankfully, this wasn't the one she painted maroon and gold, or he would have guessed her secret identity right away.

"Seriously cool." Cole grinned. "Can I take it for a spin?"

"Um, maybe not." She chuckled nervously, taking it back from them. "It's still a little buggy. Plus it's kind of a custom, so I'm not sure how it would function with other people..."

"Aw, you're just saying that because you don't want me to bust it up." Cole pouted. "I get it..."

"I think she also wants to prevent you from crashing and burning." Jay smirked. "But yeah, that too." He crossed his arms and grinned at her. "I'm so impressed, Nya. That thing is incredible, and you made it in such a short amount of time. You're amazing!"

Nya blushed, looking down. "Thank you. So... yeah, that's what I use to get around."

Jay smiled sadly. "I guess you can't always use my storm glider."

"Oh, yeah." Nya returned the smile, trying to hide her nerves. "I guess."

At that moment, Zane had arrived with Lloyd, declaring there was no sight of the Samurai anywhere. He noticed the jetpack and complimented it with one word, "Interesting."

Nya took Lloyd out, pulling on the jetpack and holding his hands. "The ground isn't too far down. The jetpack is enough to ensure us a safe landing."

"Can we fly around a bit?" Lloyd asked excitedly. "Please?"

Nya sighed. "I'm sorry, Lloyd, but I'm not sure how many people this thing can carry. So far, it's only designed for me."

Lloyd looked down. "So... where are you gonna drop me off?" He asked dejectedly.

"Um, let's try this arcade." She held onto him tightly, dropping down. The jetpack did give them a slow, smooth landing, but from the speed at which they fell, Nya knew it couldn't keep them in the air for too long.

She walked Lloyd to the arcade, handing him a bag full of coins. "Here."

"Whoa..." Lloyd glanced inside at the sum of coins. "You're sure I can spend all of these?"

"It's the least I can do, after ridding you of a fun jetpack ride." Nya smiled, ruffling his hair.

"You could have at least dropped me off at a decent arcade." Lloyd huffed. "Where are you even going? I know you aren't looking for the Samurai."

"How do you know?" Nya raised a brow.

"Because everyone knows you're the Samurai." Lloyd stated matter-of-factly.

Nya's heart sank. "How do they know that?" She spoke in a voice barely above a whisper.

Lloyd laughed out loud. "So it's true! You're the Samurai!"