Chapter 21

She was soaring above the sky, flying in a metal machine, something far better than a dragon. She was much faster than them, faster than she could have ever imagined. Her brother was in her steel clutches, unconscious. Her teammates were following her, cheering her on.

No. Not following her. Chasing her. Screaming for her to come back.

She had turned on them.

"Nya?"

Jay's gentle voice echoed throughout her dream. She stirred before sitting up quickly, groaning at the sudden moment that cause her head to spin. "Ugh... Jay?" She fluttered her eyes open, realizing she was back at the monastery in her room. The lighting ninja was perched on the side of her bed, leaning in to stroke her cheek. "Jay..." She whispered, finally grasping onto what happened. "We didn't catch them."

Jay moved in and held her tightly, remaining silent. When she shook with anxiety, he rubbed her back, whispering words of comfort. "We'll get them next time. I promise."

"Cole. Is he... okay?" Nya stomach twisted in knots, remembering what the snakes had compelled him to do. She held onto Jay tighter, realizing again how close she was to death.

Jay nodded. "If Sensei didn't fly in at that moment..." He shuddered. "We have him to thank. He used this magic flute to return Cole to normal. We had to return to the monastery shortly after, just to make sure you were okay." He pulled away slowly. "Reminds me, I should tell the others now."

"Just tell them I'm okay, Jay." Nya mumbled. "I need to be alone for a while. Everything's still processing."

"Of course." Jay smiled at her, holding her shoulders and planting a kiss on her forehead. "Just call us up whenever you're ready. Zane might need to run an analysis before you train."

Nya nodded, thanking him for staying with her. Once he left, she got out of bed, wobbling awkwardly on her legs. Water. She stumbled to the bathroom, running the tap and splashing the water on her face before taking a long drink. Gasping, she winced at the aching all over her body, her muscles feeling torn and her bones weak. Fumbling through the medicine cabinet above the sink, she took a couple of painkillers and sank to the bathroom floor.

She had failed. Nya felt her eyes and nose grow hot as fat tears spilled down her cheeks. Failed as a leader and failed as a ninja. I'm not even a ninja. She thought, her heart aching. I don't have a dragon and I don't have a golden weapon. I can't even control water.

Bringing her knees to her nose, she curled up in a ball and quietly sobbed. I'm tired of crying over my failures, but it isn't like anything will ever change. I don't seem to learn anything from my mistakes, like Sensei keeps telling me. Perhaps she was simply not cut out to be a ninja; Kai should have been the one that Sensei found. Nya would have been better off on her own, fighting for the same ideals, sure, but not alongside the ninja.

It was a boy's club, and that was that.

A message from her phone interrupted her brooding. She struggled to get up before stumbling back onto her bed, grabbing her phone. Unknown number. Weird. Unlocking her phone, she opened the text, only for the screen to become inverted.

>Nya. I understand you are an inventor?

Nya swallowed, unsure if she should answer it, but her curiosity got the best of her. Perhaps it's a link to the Serpentine. She speculated.

>I've dabbled. Who is this?

>I must assure you that I am on your side. Your inventions will be the key to our victory over the Serpentine. With your assistance, we will be able to take down the enemy swiftly and effectively.