Grow a Little

"Jace, Jessie over here." Alec called us from his spot behind a grave. We were currently tomb raiding for weapons we could use against the vamps on our quest to rescue the lovely nerd with two first names. Izzy had just left to get information so it was only Alec, Jace, and I. Oh, and Carrot Head but she counts as half a person because of that little brain of hers. "We're crossing into vampire territory."

"You don't say?" I asked sarcastically at the same time Jace said.

"That's the point." I felt him look at me and I could almost imagine that stupid smirk on his face, but I didn't look at him. Instead, I kept my eyes trained on Alec. "Cheer up, Alec this'll be fun."

He sighed frustratedly and sent Jace a hard look. "Damn it, Jace think this through you don't even like the guy." Alec tried to reason. I agree with him, but how often do you get to break into  vampires lair? Okay, maybe I do it for fun when I'm bored but never accompanied.

"This isn't about the mundane, it's about Clary." I stated casually as I smirked at Jace.

"Are you so desperate to get laid you're willing to get us all killed?" Alec hissed.

Jace opened his mouth to argue, but I cut him off. "Look boys as much as I hate playing mother, I will in order for both of you to shut up." I glared. "First off, great insult Alec I'll be using that sometime soon. Second, we're a team no matter how selfish one of our members is we can't leave him to die, even if he wouldn't do the same. Plus, we're shadowhunters this is our job." I shrugged and strutted to Carrot Head.

"I think I found it." She told me softly, but then looked over to me and her eyes dimmed in dispointment. She was expecting to find Jace. "Are you here to apologize?"

I raised my eyebrows at her. "Are you brain dead?"

This time she looked taken a back. "You were rude to me earlier."

"And you were annoying. Actually, you still are." I smiled at her and opened the grave. "Hey, boys over here!" I holared. 

Carrot Head looked at the tomb wide eyed, and reached in taking a seraph blade in her hands. "Don't touch that." Alec reprimed in a grumpy matter. "You don't know how to use it."

"Like in the Pandemonium Club, when I fought those demons?"

"You didn't-" Alec began but was cut off by Jace.

"Do you see anything you can use here?" He asked his parabati.

I reached down and grabbed a couple throw daggers adjusting them so I would be able to reach them when fighting. "If I recall correctly you ran away." I smirked.

"Do you see anything you can use?" Jace asked once again, trying to stop us from getting in another fight and looking at his parabati for help.

Alec shook his head. "There's no bow here. It's back at the institute." I rolled my eyes knowing that Alec could use other weapons besides the bow and arrow, but stayed silent knowing that the better equipped we were for this mission the better chance we have of coming out unharmed.

"And how are you going to get in the institute without being seen?" Jace asked.

"He could sneak in through the back. I used to do that all the time." I offered.

"More like you snuck your toys in all the time." Alec told me amusedly.

"Poatoe, potato." I smiled back innocently. 

Jace considered this for a moment before nodding. "Okay." With that Alec turned to leave with me following behind him. "Wait, Mine where are you going?"

I resisted my urge to roll my eyes at the old nickname and turned to face him. "I'm going with Alec. There's no way I'm staying here alone with you two."

Clary looked relieved, I wonder if it was because I wouldn't be here to fight with her or because she was going to be alone with Jace. Jace on the other hand was smirking cockily at me. "Scared?" He taunted with his eyebrows raised up in question.

I silently cursed at him under my breath before scoffing, "Of course not. I'm just not relatively fond of live action porn." His smirk didn't dim in the slightest way at my remark.

"Well, would you like to participate?" Normally I would say something back, but I've been off my game for a while and I frozen everytime he made one of those jokes.

"Maybe, when you grow a little." I smiled sweetly as I eyed him unimpressed (even if he was impressive) and sat down on a tombstone in hopes of ending this conversation. Yeah, I know direspectful but right now I didn't care. He playfully glared at me but said nothing. I saw Alec sending me a look as if telling me I didn't have to stay if I didn't want to, but I refused to let Jace think he won.

Jace turned to Clary and looked at her with this sort of light in his eyes. Like everything she said and did was a blessing. I felt my heart yearn for him to look at me like that. Just kidding. No, actually I felt a growing feeling of annoyance with both of them for being so cliche. "Okay, now let me show you how to use this thing. It knows you're a shadowhunter. So, it wants you to respond." I felt a wave of anger roll through me already knowing this speech. He told me it while he trained me when I first arrived at the institute. Wild eyed, messy braids, dirty ragged jeans covered in blood and black demon residue, I was wearing my favorite rainbow stripped t-shirt, my parents and I had been getting ready to go to the arcade earlier that day to celebrate my birthday not knowing that would be our last day together as a family. I had immediately been brought to the New York institute to wait for a member of the Clave to take me back to Idris. Of course that never happened because the Lightwoods took me in as soon as they laid eyes on me.