Game Plan

"Sup Carrot Head." I said as I strutted past a dark corridor. "What are you doing here... In the dark, alone, clutching crumpled peices of paper?" Thanks to my years of training and natural battle instinct I noticed her instantly but she was pretty well hidden. "Maybe that's why the institute is so dirty." I mumbled to myself.

Carrot sighed and quickly put her sketch pad down not letting me see. "Nothing just bored."

I looked at her with a dead panned expression. "Don't be stupid, we both know I won't fall for that."

"It's nothing alright!" She exclaimed snottily.

"First, talk to me like that again and I'll break your arm. And second, if I'm going to find your mom we're going to have to learn to trust each other... As much as that pains me." I told her sincerely.

She sighed in defeat and put her head in her hands. "H-He talked to me today." Carrot said. "Through my necklace."

I reached to one of the crumpled peices of paper on the ground and opened it. Inside there was a detailed picture of Valentine. I almost gasped at how real it was. There is no way Clary has never seen him before. "Did you see him too?" Carrot nodded. "Where's your necklace now?" If Carrot was able to see him he could see into the institute too. She could be a spy, what if she tricked us? No, I couldn't just blame her but I will keep a close eye on her.

"I told Jace, who told Alec, who took it away and locked it up." She told me helplessly, oh hell no. She better not expect me to fall for her damsel in distress act.

I nodded. "He did the right thing. Valentine could be using it to spy in here."

"How could you say that? It's the only chance I had to contact my mother!"

I rolled my eyes. "Anyone ever told you you're way too dramatic? Maryse is right, life isn't about what you want it is about what has to be done. Alec handled this properly. There's always more clues. Besides Sherlock never figured anything using his first lead. We need more evidence to go any further."

Carrot nodded. "Yes, of course and I think I might know where. On the same day every year my mom would lock herself in her room and cry. She didn't know I knew but she would cry after taking out a box with the initials J. C. It was my father's."

"Great I'll get a move on, you keep Alec bussy." I said getting up ready to strut away.

"I have to go, how else are you going to find it?"

"Old box letters on it, I'll manage." I waved her off leaving.

"No, you can't go without me. You said we had to work together."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine you go distract Alec, I'm going to talk to someone I think might give me some information. Try to sneak out I'll find you don't worry." She nodded and I walked away.

"Long time no see Hermosa." The husky and smooth voice of Raphael told me as I walked into his abandoned loft.

"You saw me like three days ago."

"Every second is like an eternity without seeing your beautiful face." He smirked looking me up and down.

"You're a real charmer aren't you? Yeah, well good thing I'm not a snake. What's up with Simon?"

He smirked at me amused. "And you're quite the Einstein aren't you?"

"No I'm quite the Lightwood." I've been to a vampire den more times than regular shadowhunters go in their whole lifes and I know what vampires do to humans there. The fact that Simon was with Camille made me even more certain that he was turning.

Raphael made a mock thoughtful face. "Are you really though?"

I hesitated not sure if I should tell him, but what the hell it's not like everyone didn't already know I was adopted. "Not by blood."

"What's your last name?"

"Archfeild, but I doubt you've ever herd of it. Both my parents thought they were mundanes."

"No, actually I belive I have. I just don't remeber where. Archfeild, Archfeild, Hailey? No that's not right." Raphael shook his head trying to remember. "Bailey? No." He said continuing to guess names.

"Zelie?" I asked, remebering what Magnus had called me the first time we met.

"Yes! Zelie Archfeild, Magnus' most dear friend." Raphael nodded finally remebering her. "The best shadowhunter of her generation I belive. At least until something happened and Magnus lost contact with her"

I frowned intrigued, this is the only lead I've ever had as to the background of my heritage. "Did you know her?"

Raphael shook his head and laughed. "No this was way before I was even born, but Magnus used to tell me stories about her and some guy named Wilbert or something like that." I cringed. "What?"

"Who names their son Wilbert? There's no way that was his name, no ancestor of mine would associate herself with a Wilbert." That didn't sound right. I had to get his name right if I was going to get anywhere with this investigation.

"Who name's their daughter Zelie."

I shrugged. "That's a cute name."

"Yeah, for a rabbit."

"You're just mad that Wilbert is a weird name." I clapped my hands together my mind focusing back on the mission at hand. "Just let me know what happens with Simon. I want to get the situation under control before you somehow mess up the nerd. He likes Star Wars so he's under my protection." I told him.

"And what if I don't?" Raphael asked smirking his little fangs poking at his pink lips, he casually took three long strides towards me.

I shrugged and smiled up innocently at him. I ran my fingers slowly up his toned chest and Raphael's smirk grew. When they got to the collar of his black button up shirt I grasped it pulling his face closer to me. I slipped my knife from where I had hidden it in the waistband of my black skinny jeans and held it close to his heart. "Then I'll turn you into the Clave as an accomplice." I smiled at him mischievously and bit my bottom lip. "Or, I'll help Carrot Head skin you alive." I smiled again and leaned up pressing a kiss against his jaw. It was quick and meaningless but I enjoyed flirting.

He stood still as I left I kept my blade at hand just in case Raphael decided to attack me. I was at the door when I herd him call out, the smirk evident in his voice. "A pleasure as always Hermosa."