Played Myself

"I believe you know what's expected of you, Jessie dear

"I believe you know what's expected of you, Jessie dear." Robert spoke in a whisper as we both stood in front of the City's holograph. I felt like Batman and Robin right now patrolling Gotham City, I was Batman of course. Maryse and Robert had just rounded Izzy, Alec, and I to inform us that the Lightwood name was the lowest it ever has and someone from the clave was coming for an expection. Since life is completely fair, they expected me to fix it.

I nodded slightly, knowing exactly what he was talking about. "You're pimping your adoptive daughter out." I rolled my eyes scanning our missions for the week. Sadly mine wouldn't be fighting demons, it would be fluttering my eyes and smiling at the person who would come to supervise the institute. They better not be old and gross. "Father of the year award goes to..." I drawled out when suddenly the elevator doors opened. In stepped a tall bald headed man covered in runes and another even bulkier blonde, who looked like the love child of John Ceena and the Rock. More distinctly both with a Circle rune.

I didn't even have to think to have one of my kunai throw daggers hurtling to the man I knew to be Valentine. From a few feet closer to the elevator an arrow shot only moments after, that I recognized to be Alec's, heading straight for the blonde.

His arrow was deflected by the blonde man, my knife however successfully scratched Valentine's neck regardless of his quick reflexes. Before any of us knew what was happening the huge blonde man turned into a petite blonde women with ruby red lips and a power suit that screamed 'I'm hot but you wouldn't survive a dinner with me.' Valentine transformed into a tall lanky young man with fluffy raven hair and boyish features. He cradled his neck, a playful cackle coming from his lips as he leisurely followed the composed young women in. He was dressed in all black with a stylish bomber jacket adding to his 'I just came from my job at Journeys' appearance.

"That reaction time was abysmal." She sighed, her cold brown eyes gazing past me and straight to Alec's multicolored glare. Honestly he looked more confused than intimidating, aka me while doing math. "Except for you. And you," she turned to me once again.

"You must be Jessamine Archfield. New York's finest." The boy cut her off standing directly in front of me with a huge grin, he looked quite harmless if I'm being honest. Reminding me a little of the first time I met Simon, only he moved cooly. Overly arrogant and in control like as if he had rehearsed it. Evident that he was used to success and girls fainting over him but I could tell he was excited to see me. The arm that wasn't mending his cut handing me the throw dagger. "The greatest dangers come in heavenly forms." He translated the latin.

"Congratulations, you can read." I rolled my eyes taking the dagger back. I smiled flirtatiously at him, observing his eyes become lowly with amusement. "But it's the Clave's finest."

"I bet." He breathed out at the same time his companion stepped closer to me with a disapproving scowl. "Reaction time was near perfect." She regarded me cooly. "Were you planing on killing our most wanted criminal without interrogation?"

I smiled at her sweetly stepping closer to her to the point where our lips would have been only a few inches apart if it wasn't for the height difference. "I missed on purpose." That was a lie, I had gone for the throat. Luckily he moved, ha that would've been awkward to explain next Thanksgiving. She met my eyes looking quite uncomfortable with my presence. "Who are you?" I raised my eyebrows as she stepped away from me awkwardly.

"Yeah, I'd like to know that too." Alec regarded the two, crossing his arms and coming to stand besides me. His hand still readying his bow in case they tried anything.

"Lydia Branwell." She informed us tightly. "And my little brother, Milan Branwell."

I rolled my eyes, glancing at the boy who was still staring at me with wide enthusiastic eyes. "And I care whyyyyy?" I dragged the y until she cut me off.

"The clave has ordered us to take temporary control of this institute." She smiled smugly at me before strutting towards the mission reports Robert and I were working on.

"Wow, wow." I jogged to go in front of her, walking backwards as I faced Lydia. "No offense but we already have a controlling blonde." I pouted at her sassily, referring to Jace. "And a cute brunette." I pointed to myself with a smile.

"Wait a minute nobody informed us." I heard Maryse speak from behind me with another pair of stilettos following that I knew to be Izzy. Oh shit's about to go down.

"The clave doesn't need to inform you." Lydia told her simply. I have to give her that, it takes balls to speak up to Maryse. I've seen Clave leaders afraid to contradict her.

"It's not that big of a deal." Milan shrugged from besides his sister. "Just temporary."

"Nothing's been decided yet. But," she paused already probing the hologram, "I do need full clearing in order to asses how this institute is running. What's the password?"

Isabelle turned to me, arms crossed over her chest she raised her eyebrows at me. As if saying who does she think she is? I shrugged knowing exactly what she was trying to say. We've gotten pretty good to understanding each other without having to speak. I could tell Isabelle was fighting to keep her composure. I on the other hand was failing miserably. "Okay. It's F," Lydia nodded already typing, "U." Her face fell and she stopped typing, and angry blush on her creamy skin as Maryse snorted lightly. That's probably the only time she's going to be proud of me for letting the many etiquette classes she put me in go to hell.

Milan chuckled, strolling forward from his spot behind Lydia. "What my darling sister is trying to say." He spoke sarcastically, his cool raven eyes looking over at Maryse. "Is that we're here to make sure this institute is running to it's highest potential. The Clave has decided that the Lightwoods have...settled. Prove us wrong and the institute is all yours."

"It already is." Izzy narrowed her eyes at the pair. "We have nothing to fear."

"Where's Clarissa Fairchild?" He mused, looking like he already had the answer to that. His demeanor changing from carefree to authoritative. Although he was probably my age, seventeen or so, something told me that he held the true authority in the pair.

"She's on the field, training." Alec finally spoke, looking as brooding as ever. Max stood besides him, trying his best to imitate Alec's intimidating stance but failing in the most adorable way. He looked a bit constipated.

"You're telling me she's just out and about..." Lydia stepped towards Alec. "In the streets of New York? Valentine's daughter?" She spoke with a snobbish voice as her eyes looked around the institute in dismay. I knew we should've hired a cleaning lady.

"Isn't she also your cousin?" I sniffled a laugh. Yes Iz, you tell her babygirl! That's my parabati guys.

"Distant cousin." Lydia gave her a tight smile. Amping up the bitch-o-meter by like 20%.

"She's with Jace." Alec interfered before Izzy's real bitch came out. I'm mean, but trust me I look like an angel compared to Izzy's bad side.

"Same Jace Wayland who decided to lead an unsanctioned raid against the vampires?"

"Exactly him." I growled, feeling my humor being replaced with annoyance. "The same one who beat your mission success record by half. Jace may be unconventional but he's our best shadowhunter." I spoke, praying to God that he didn't hear that or I wouldn't hear the end of it.

"If he's with Clary, she's in good hands." Maryse argued. You know for someone who was practically being over powered from her institute she was calm. I wonder why-Oh wait. My face fell once I realized why. She had an ace up her sleeve, and it was me. Of course it was me. There was a young attractive man with power and from a heroic family, and all that it was going to take to get him out of her way was me. She really pulled a whole Uno reverse card on me.

"She better be. And for your sake, all of New York. All of your jurisdiction better be well protected." Lydia hissed but it was more a faint buzz that went right passed me as I realized just how screwed I was.