Oh Rats

Carrot Head and Simon spread out to search for the box instantly, but I waited for Alec. He stepped in with his arms crossed over his chest. He sent me a glare and my eyes widened in amusment.

I shrugged my shoulders and put my hands up in surrender. "What? I hate this just as much as you do." I told him pouting innocently. Starting to search for the box too. A smile cracked through my features as Alec's gaze lit up sarcastically. "Ok maybe not as much as you do."

Alec rolled his eyes but smiled. "Sure because sneaking into a dangerous building and having a chance to bother Clary without Jace opposing is such torture for you. Not to mention getting a lead to the shadow world's biggest threat."

I shrugged by now we were all searching. "I already know Jace'll give me a shit for hitting her. I swear I didn't mean to, I know that was going to far but I just couldn't stop myself."

"I wonder why." Alec replied sarcastically as he also rummaged through drawers but more carefully than I. "Ever since we were kids you did things without thinking of the consequences.

I shrugged glancing over my shoulder to look at him. "That's what Lightwoods do, we're too hot headed for our own good. I'm going to keep an eye on the mundanes." I told him before walking towards Carrot and Simon who were rummaging through the drawers. Ha that's ironic I'm pretty sure neither of them are mundanes.

"Any luck?" Simon asked.

"No, did you guys find anything useful?" I asked going over to Carrot head.

She opened her mouth to speak before she closed it. "Did you hear that?" Carrot asked me. I nodded and she quickly stepped off. Moving the squeaky floor board and sticking her hand in.

"Ah, don't just stick your hand in, Carrot. We live in New York, there could be a rat nest there." I told her scrunching up my nose and shivering at the thought of a bunch of rabid hairless baby rats biting her hand. If there's one thing you should know about me it's that I hate rodents. Even bunnies and very small white chihuahuas creep me out. The only rodent I can somewhat stand are squirrels and that's only if they're at a six foot radius from me.

She let out a laugh and an "aha" before pulling out a small and dusty wooden box with a triumph smile that pulled her round rosy elf looking cheeks up to her temples.

"Rats?" Simon asked amused.

I shrugged. "Yeah those things are dangerous. They spread epidemics that killed half the world's population in the eighteenth century."

"You're a shadowhunter and your scared of rats, that live in the shadows?" Carrot asked just as amused.

"Yes, now open that damn box before Valentine comes to kill all of us." I told her trying to get the attention off of my phobia. Just as if my words had jinxed it a multitude of men bursted into the house knocking down the doors and scrambling in, swords drawn and ready to kill anyone that got in their way. "Of course." I muttered under my breath, my hands instinctively going to my sides where the twin blades I had packed rested cooly against my waist. They were humming slightly like they could feel a fight was about to happen.

Carrot and Simon looked around terrified. Clary also got her sword out, but I knew she was basically defenseless against the arms of highly trained assassins. "Carrot, whatever happens you have to get out of here with the box." I said slowly, my eyes were locked on Alec's figure who was struggling to keep them out. Alec was a great fighter but he was always more caught up on keeping us safe than keeping himself alive. I was certain that they would manage to get through him, all that mattered was how much time I had to get Clary out of here.

"What? I can't leave you guys here." She protested running over to join the fight that was only a few feet away. Huge men were already starting to rush at us. I have to admit her courage and stupidity are admirable.

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back behind me firmly. I turned to look into her eyes glaring daggers, hoping to prove my point. "If they get you or this box we're all dead anyways. You are our most valuable asset right now, so stop arguing and get out of here. Simon, get her out. Neither of you stop running until you get to the institute. Alec and I will be right behind you." I assured them before smirking and pulling my blades out, getting in my element.

My eyes narrowed down at the two men that launched at us. "Malik." I whispered watching them glow despite the fact that they would do no more harm than normal swords would. The feeling was still familiar and exciting, the chance to save someone. I jumped up from my crouching position raising both my arms out, leaving myself wide open for a strike before slashing through both of those men's necks. I could hear Alec grunting and yelling at Carrot to leave. She was fighting her way out as well. Simon and her were pushing as much as they could to get out. My brother's arrows were zooming all across the room pinning people to the walls and piercing though their flesh.

I looked back at the mundanes and saw four men hitting them. With a round house kick to one of the guys I was fighting and a slash through the collar bone to the other guy I ran straight to the third kicking myself off his chest and towards Carrot and Simon. I spun my twin blades, a gift from Robert, and slashed through two men. The other two had ganged up on me and cut a deep gash across the back of my knee making it hard for me to move. I let out a string of curse words and the other one punched me right on the temple and I shook my head trying to force the black spots on my eye sight to leave. My sword clashed against one of the men and I elbowed the other in the chest knocking him back. I stabbed my sword across his ungaurded form. While I was distracted another one managed to knock one of my swords out of my hand. I swung my sword around and slashed through him he crumbled to the ground and I kicked him with my bleeding leg. "That's what you get for even touching me." I growled, he was the one that had cut my leg.  I know, I'm petty.

"Jessie, let's go." I herd Alec yell Carrot and Simon were nowhere to be seen hopefully they had made it. Alec began to run out as well. We were still out numbered but had accomplished our mission and that's all that mattered. We both ran out but before I could make it to the door a man half my size blocked my way.

Alec was too far ahead to notice and I didn't bother screaming, I knew I was screwed and I'd rather him leave than I. I tried rolling away from the man and punching him, but the man growled his eyes lighting up and that took me by surprise. I hesitated and he threw a punch at my side. I manged to stab his side but that didn't stop my face from connecting with his knee. And after that it all went black.