Shady's Back

I went to my room, still shaky after the attack I had. I played with the sleeve of my hoodie thinking about what Jace had said, he couldn't hate me. Did I believe him? No, you can hate anyone if you try hard enough but it was a nice reassuring lie. At least for now he couldn't hate me and that calmed me down a bit.

I went over to my closet and grabbed black ripped jeans, a fitted black t-shirt, a black leather jacket, and a pair of shiny red stilettos before hoping into the shower. I got out if it leaving my face bare of makeup and added some silver jewelry. I had no idea what I was dressing up for but hanging around Isabelle all these years made me learn that a good outfit could save your life.

I walked through the hallways on a quest for food. "Hey you don't stink anymore. Are you feeling better?" Jace's arrogant and confident voice teased as he strolled up next to me  dressed in all black like usual.

"Peachy." I smiled still determined to get some breakfast.

"Hodge told me there was a surprise in mission briefing for us." There goes my breakfast.

"Okay, but you're making me food after this." He shrugged and we began walking towards the mission room.

We were talking about Alec when I herd a familiar and strict voice that brought melancholy memories back. I looked at Jace who looked just as surprised as me. "Maryse?"

The figure of a middle aged woman clad in a blue business dress turned around to face us a happy smile on her face as her eyes landed on her two adoptive kids. Well, Shady's back. Quite literally Maryse is the queen of shade. Jace speed up a little to step into her open arms. I rolled my eyes, he was always such a momma's boy. "Jace and Jessamine how I've missed you." She excalimed pulling me into a hug after. I saw Izzy frown sadly and I knew Maryse hadn't even hugged Izzy. Growing up we had all excelled as Shadowhunters but Jace and I had become arguably the greatest of our generation. Maryse and Robert loved the praise they received on raising us and taking us in resulting in them treating us better than Izzy and Alec.

I stepped away and stood by Isabelle, placing a comforting hand on her arm. "We've missed you too, but why the sudden visit?" I asked as nicely as possible for me. I know I'm never this polite, but this is the woman who raised me even though I wasn't even her child and she would always have my gratitude and loyalty.

"I'm glad you asked, Jessie. The Seelie court has stopped communicating with the Clave completely."

"That's the first." I snorted. "They're always complaining."

Maryse ignored me already used to my side comments. "My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk." I was going to say something about the seelie party I went to a couple days ago but stayed quiet knowing better.

"I have Seelie friends." Isabelle said and I mentally face palmed. I stepped closer to my parabati as if to protect her from the harsh words that were about to come from her mother.

"I know about your friends." Maryse sneered looking at Isabelle with distate and disappointment. "Isabelle, we stay separate from the downworld for a reason. Do you really think there is such as thing as harmless rebellion?"

I pointed at Jace and I. "We're literally the poster children for that." I said trying to shift Maryse's anger towards me.

"Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him something they shouldn't know." The Clave doesn't even tell us anything that we can spill. "Maybe you trod on one of their ridiculous costumes without even knowing."

Izzy looked down at the floor feeling guilty and fire ran throught my veins was sge serious? Half of our leads were because of Isabelle's friendship with the downworlders. Neither Maryse or Robert seemed to mind when they were getting praised because of our success. "You can't seriously be blaming all of this on Isabelle." Carrot Head intervened and for once since I met the traffic cone I was glad she had opened her mouth.

"Yeah it's not like they might be mad because the clave literally treats everyone else inferior on a good day and like literal criminals when they're on their period." I scoffed stepping up next to Izzy and glaring at Maryse. "Hitler who?"

"I wouldn't expect either of you understand, you haven't even been here for a week and already caused us more trouble than we've had in years." Maryse told Clary and Clary shited her eyes. "And Jessamine you have always been an excellent fighter but you never were able to use your brain."

I glared at Maryse all my respect going out the window, no one and I mean no one calls me stupid. "Excuse me?"

Then Alec stepped in placing a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. "Isabelle knows how to talk to the Fair Folk she can talk to Meliorn and find out what he knows. I could go with her if you'd like." Alec offered and Maryse gave Izzy, Carrot Head, and I one more look of distaste before looking at Alec.

"I'd rather Jace go with her this time. You keep an eye on the Fray girl. She's already caused enough trouble." Yeah no kidding.

"Maybe that's because she wasn't a shadowhunter until a few days ago!" Carrot Head exclaimed her grass green eyes widening in annoyance and her elfish face scowling.

Didn't she say like yesterday that she was a "real" shadowhunter? "Did you just refer to yourself in third person?" I asked looking at her lamely. "Wait who am I going with?" I asked feeling either one of the options was going to be a pain in my butt.

...

Who do you want Jessie to go with, Clary and Alec, Izzy and Jace, or do you want her to stay and spend a lovely day with the ever so loveable Maryse? (Please notice my sarcasm and kill me now)