XXXVII: Police

Yoongi P.o.V

When Makseun collapsed, I called the ambulance instantly, somehow keeping myself from slipping into hysterics until the paramedics arrived. We travelled to the hospital in the ambulance and got taken straight to a ward. He was put under anaesthetic, not that he had regained consciousness, and taken to the operation theatre to have his wounds checked whilst the staff went through his contacts for any family and I called the boys.

They arrived a few minutes after I called, Liu in tow. They ran at me, bombarding me with questions. Liu stood back on her own until Hoseok noticed her and went to check she was okay. She quickly broke down in tears and Jimin rushed over, soon crying himself.

"Excuse me? Are you here with Kim Makseun?" A nurse calls to us, instantly hushing the conversations. I nod hurriedly, not moving my eyes from her. "Who brought him?" I raise my hand. "Okay, you come with me. Any family relations come too."

I look to Liu, holding out my hand for her to take. She dries her face and comes with me, not taking my hand. I ignore it and we follow the nurse into an empty room that was waiting for a bed to be wheeled in. "So? How is he?"

The nurse nods reassuringly, small smile playing at her delicate features. She looks too young and innocent to be a surgeon... "He's stable. He lost consciousness after the panic attack you mentioned, but we need to ask you some questions. Both of you."

We look at one another warily, both nodding. This is the closest I've ever gotten to conversation with this poor girl.

She smiles again. "Okay, when we were operating we couldn't help but notice all the scars. They look similar to the wounds we were stitching. Where did he get them?"

Liu looks at the floor, fidgeting with the hem of the oversized hoodie she wore. Isn't that Hoseoks..? She doesn't look like she wants to say anything...

"Uh... Their father..." I say quietly.

"Their father..?"

"He... He abused them. He used a belt and that's what gave him the scars." I say, deciding it was better to explain everything now.

She nodded, lips pursing. "Ah, do you know how long this went on?"

"The abuse has been for their whole lives, but the belt is for the past five or six years. Only him too."

She hummed. "Why was it only him?"

"Personal reasons." Liu pipes up, not meeting the nurses eyes.

She nods again. "So, you are the sister, yes?" Liu nods. "And I assume you are her boyfriend?"

I freeze. "Wh-What?! No! I-I'm Makseun's... Makseun's friend."

"Yes, I've never really spoken to him before this." Liu says with an awkward laugh, meeting my eyes as if to try and reassure the nurse it was true.

The nurse nods, face grave. "Okay, well due to the circumstances-"

"No! Let me in! He's my son let me see him!" A voice yelled. Rushed foot steps and raised voices of the nurses and the boys protested, obviously trying to stop him.

"Is that your father?" Liu nods nervously, teeth clamping down on her bottom lip and eyes fixed on the door. "I will be back in a moment." She leaves briskly, closing the door behind her. Their conversation hushed as she approached. I cant make out what she said, but whatever it was made the boys start shouting again. She soon walked past, father in tow and lead him down the corridor.

"What's she doing?" Liu asked quietly, shuffling her feet nervously.

"I... Don't know..." I mutter as she walks back alone. We wait in silence until she pokes her head in.