Work and Conversations x13

Kasandra
The best thing about my job as a social worker is getting to help young kids achieve their goals.I immediately knew going into this kind of work wouldn't be easy but I'm a big humanitarian.

I've been assigned to a high school in Brooklyn. I've just arrived and the principal is at the doorstep waiting for my arrival.

"Good Morning,Miss Wright,we're so glad to be having you here" she beams as we shake hands. "Good morning,Mrs.harris,I'm glad to be here as well" I smile.

She was gorgeous and rocked dreads. She was a prime example of black don't crack.

This school has been in the news because of the lack of funding

This school has been in the news because of the lack of funding. It seems that the rich schools get richer while the poor schools get poorer and a lot of the time the students that make up the underfunded schools are mainly black and brown students.

"As you can see we are renovating the school a bit since we were able to get some funding but our kids here are struggling not only at school but at home as well and we feel that you can really try to help our students to really speak about their emotions because many of them have been through very traumatic experiences" she explains to me as we walk through the halls of the school stopping to look into some classrooms.

I nod understanding everything she was saying. Mental health isn't discussed as much as it should be,especially in the black community. Not everything can just be prayed away.

"Well that's why I do what I do, I'm really excited to help,I know it won't be easy but I'll do all I can" I tell her. She leads me to my office which had my name on the outside and tells me that she'd be back with a certain student she wanted me to speak to.

I set my bag down under my desk. The office was actually very nice,it must've been new.

As I'm looking around I hear the door opening and she walks in with a boy who looked about 16 or 17.