Prologue.

Chapter Zero: Prologue.

A small sigh escaped her slight crimson lips, the reflection in the mirror gazed back at her blankly as she sat by her vanity, but why was that reflection showing her, someone, she didn't recognize?

She looked the same as she always did, with her long black hair that fell slightly above her waist. She took her time to observe her facial features closer. Her nose was slightly upturned and her eyelashes were what people would consider "long" but even though she looked at herself, she didn't feel the same. Nor did she look the same. She felt lost as if she was at sea.

Her luscious black hair was in the hands of her mother who was gently brushing it with the small comb in her hands as a small smile crept its way up onto her pale, pink lips, her eyes full of warmth.

"Mother..." The princess spoke, straightening her posture before turning her gaze towards the Queen.

She gulped at the sight of her own mother. She was looking down at her with her warm, brown eyes. They were soft and showed how much she cared for her but at the same time, hidden in the depths were slight tinges of fright.

"Do I have to go?" The princess asked. A pang of guilt shot through her body but she still chose to hope for the response she wished for. Unfortunately, she had only received a glare from the elder female.

"Jieun, sweetheart, you need to understand that we all need to follow our traditions. I do not wish for my daughter to be married to a stranger, but I promise that your father and I will make the right choice." She smiled and paused for a minute before choosing to speak once more.

"Trust us, sweetheart." She said in her soft voice, leaning down to cup her cheeks and kiss her forehead.

The queen stood back up in her usual straightened posture, looked down and reached behind her back to unlock the piece of jewelry which was beautifully hanging from her neck.

Her fingers gently glided above the rare gemstones and diamonds that shone under the blazing light of the many candles in the room.

She weakly smiled before turning back to the princess as she gently placed the much-wanted jewels around her neck.

"Your grandmother gave it to me when I was your age. She ordered me to pass it on to many generations.

Now, it's yours. Take care of it. It's one of the most want-" The Queen was interrupted by a knock from the other side of the door, making both, mother and daughter jump in surprise.

The maids rushed in, immediately bowing down to the Royals.

"It's time, your highness." The young girl said as she was slightly shaking from their gaze.

•••

The princess groaned, mentally, not wanting to step a foot in the ballroom. The same room where her fate would change forever.

The calming melody of the violins, pianos and the many other musical instruments beautifully flew by. She was attempting to fit inside the bustling atmosphere. The Royals were everywhere, either dancing, chatting, laughing or having a drink with their partners, which caused Princess Jieun to frown.

She gripped the front of her dress and picked it up from the floor as she continued her path towards her parents, King Jihun and Queen Iseul.

Bowing down in front of them as a sign of respect all the while plastering on a fake smile, the princess then took a seat beside them. She patiently waited for something to stand out in the hectic ambiance of the immense ballroom.

And something... Well, rather someone, did catch her eye the moment he walked in.

Prince Jung Hoseok.

•••

Please stay tuned for the next chapter. You do not know how much of drama and excitement is waiting for you.