What The???

What just happened here? I can't make sense of it or believe it. Me, little Miss ball crusher almost made out with Demarco Harper, AKA Italian mob boss. I never allow any man that close to me especially if I barely know them. The only reason I agreed to dance with him was because he scares the shit out of me. It kills me to admit that because I made a vow to myself year's ago that I'd never allow another man to physically or mentally hurt me. In fact I steer clear of most strong willed men. I don't like the challenge or the fact that I can't control them.  My ex for example was a whiney brat for the most part. If I told him to shut up he shut up and I was allowed to make most of the decisions. Honestly it's right hilarious because he wants to be a politician one day. In order to do so he is going to need to grow a pair.

Focusing back on the current situation I was a bundle of mixed emotions. I'm a fucking lawyer that puts people like him away. I can't be involved with the likes of him in any manner. I could loose my licence to practice law if I was involved with a well known criminal.  On the other hand I don't know why I acted the way I did with him. My behavior was unacceptable. By now I clearly know what he can do to me and the risks involved. The only thing I could chalk it up to was all the drinks I had consumed, the music, and the spicy setting of this place. I got carried away and shouldn't have enticed him with my dancing, shouldn't have parted my lips further to encourage a kiss from him.

Obviously he had the same thoughts as well and that was the reason he jumped away from like I had electrocuted him. That and the obvious feelings he still carried for his  deceased wife. The night he told me about her I did feel his pain but my heart hurt for her. Apparently she was a good girl that got caught up with a bad guy and it cost her life. I see several of these cases every year. It's sad but happens far too often. Just another reason I should have known better that to overstep boundaries with him tonight.

And what's so funny is that I can barely stand the guy. We met under bad circumstances. He broke into my home and stole my cat. He's a criminal and murderer and no telling what else. Fuck, he nearly killed me after having me kidnapped. But the one thing I remember the most is how he treated me once I revealed my hell of a past. Their was no judgement in his eye's, no disgust or shaming. What I did see was compassion though, but then again may be I'm wrong. Maybe that's why he bolted away from me tonight. No one wants a broken woman. Whatever the reason it was for the best.

I stood confused as I watched him speed away as if I had the plague. Once he disappeared my friend's interrupted my thoughts. "What the hell was that?" Lexi piked up all excited.

"Omg Ivy that was so hot. Your lips just hovered there so close yet so far away. Who is he? He's absolutely gorgeous". Lexi chattered on.

"Lexi". I half yelled. "Please slow your roll. It's no one".

"Uh-uh girl". Lexi said with her brow arched as they ushered me off to a quiet corner. "Don't give me that Ivy. It's clear you two know each other. Now spill".

"Fine". I groaned out. "It's all of y'alls fault. This mustn't go further than us. He's the man responsible for shooting the club up the last time we went out".

They both stared at me slacked jawed. "Your fucking kidding me, right?" Shelly hissed in a high pitch tone.

"God Shelly, lower your voice". I scowled.

"Soorrrryyy". Shelly said a bit exaggerated. "If you danced with him tonight that could only mean that you know him". She questioned while Lexi  looked on bright eyed always ready for juicy gossip.

"Yes I do, well sorta". I admitted.

"I used my connections at the office to hunt them down. He also had my phone so I sent him a nasty text and we met for dinner to hash thing's out.". I decided it be best to leave all the violent details out.

Continuing on I said. "I discovered that he is Demarco Harper".

Lexi's drink spewed from her mouth. "Omg Ivy, do you know who the Harper's are?"

Cutting my eye's toward her I said. "I'm well aware who and what they are now".

Shelly sat in silence just listening. Like me she wasn't originally from here and was clueless whereas Lexi was born and raised here. She released a stupid giggle. "Omg. I was in the presence of a real live Harper. A very good-looking one at that. My grandfather will be amazed".

"No Lexi". I stamped out. "You mustn't tell anyone".

"I want. I was just saying. My grandfather use to share stories about these men and the thing's they would do. I use to think they was a figment of his imagination until I got older and heard stories from other people. Omg.... I just can't believe I was that close to one. If I remember correctly London Harper would be Demarco's father. They say that London is the son of the devil. I heard that he now lives in Belize. The story goes that he shot the eye's out of the mafia leader there for looking at his wife inappropriately then took over as the new king there. I've also heard that he keeps his wife in chains but this is all chatter from the street. Some say he simply retired and is traveling the world."

In spite of myself I burst out in laughter. Lexi meant well but she was so gullible. I'm sure all of that is farfetched tales and rumors. No one could be that mean. Shelly finally spoke up. "What about tonight, what was that all about?"

Answering slowly I said. "I don't know Shelly. I haven't seen him in nearly three months".

Lexi giggled. "I think you should pursue him Ivy. It could be so hot".

"And deadly". I interupted. "Not only for my life but my career as well. Thanks but no".

Lexi giggled again. "Well could you hook a friend up? Judging by his dance floor moves I bet he's very talented in the bedroom. Plus he was sooo good-looking."

I laughed. "Sorry Lexi but I'm not setting my friend up with a criminal".

Lexi faked a pout. "Some friend you are. I so want to taste a Harper man".

Once home I couldn't sleep for thoughts of what almost happened. One thing's certain I must avoid Demarco Harper.