Mind Boggled

Leaning back in the seat of my car I watched as Cole Butoni exited HV incorporated. My trigger finger itched as the chance to blow his brains out was right in front of me. All I had to do was pull the trigger and kill the bastard but that wasn't enough. No, I wanted him to stare me in the eye's as I took his life. I wanted Cole Butoni to know that I killed him.

As much as I wanted his blood, I wanted Demarco's as well. Cole held my sister down while that bastard cut the heart from my sisters chest right in front of my own eye's. I relive that moment all over every day. The look my sister gave haunts me to no end but I just couldn't save her. I should've sent her away sooner, I should've listened to her threats, I should've protected her better but I was too involved with Miri and trying to win her over to pay much attention to Erica.

That's another reason Cole Butoni must go. He took what was mine. Miri was supposed to die with me so we could be together in the afterlife, but no, Cole had to come to the rescue. Fighting underneath the fridgid water that snowy day I saw what they all talked about. I saw the connection, the bond Miri and Cole had. I had cuffed the bastard to me and Miri refused to leave him. She was willing to die for him but not for me. Her father was the only thing that saved her. As he swam off with her Miri fought him. This left Cole and I alone where we engaged in a underwater struggle. Between the freezing temps and wild currents we fought for control. Cole managed to wrap his free hand around my neck choking me. The power he welded was undeniable and the crazy bastard started smiling at me as a trickle of blood floated from his mouth, a clear sign that his lungs was filling up with water.

To my advantage a log swirled toward us ramming into our battered bodies. The force of the blow freed me from Cole's grip and I noticed the log had clipped him in the head rendering him unconscious.  I then fought for survival while still cuffed to him. I swam to the surface pulling him along with me. I broke the surface and gulped in mouthfuls of polar air. My first instinct was to swim to shore, so tugging a still unconscious possibly dead Cole behind me I swam. With the last bit of strength I had I crawled onto a snowy bank. I left Cole's still body half in the water. It was hard to tell if he was breathing and I could've finished him off but time wasn't on my side. I was sure the Harper's were looking for him so I needed to make a speedy escape. The key's to the cuffs now lay somewhere on the river bed so I did what I had to do. Taking a deep breath I gripped my fingers and broke each one. A grimace escaped me with each crack. With my hand completely broken I was able to maneuver myself out of the cuff. Hissed and whimpers set loose as I squeezed my bone mangled hand to freedom. Once loose I cradled my injured hand and ran off into the woods. I knew I needed to seek warmth and dry clothes as well as care for my hand. I, a once law biding citizen became a thief over night. Entering a laundry mat I stole a set of clothes from a dryer. Seeking refuge in the bathroom I stripped from my wet item's and found relief in the warm clean clothes. Sliding down the wall completely depleted of energy I drifted off to sleep.

Upon waking I knew I was a wanted man if Cole survived to tell the tale. Swiping extra clothes and breaking into the snack machine for food, I headed to the train station. I hopped a freight train and lived the hobo life for several weeks. I made a new home in Oklahoma where I fell in with a rough crowd in order to gain a fake name and licence. Taking on handy man job's, I saved my money away until it was time to return to New York. I had one objective in mind... finish the Harper men off and take my Miri back.

And just as if I had thought her up, Miri bounced out the door into Cole's arm's. Theyshared a heated kiss and a few word's then Miri skipped back inside as Cole slid into his brand new Mercedes and left.

I returned to my one room apartment to get ready for my meeting with Ivy. My hope's was she could give me some inside info on the Harper's or I could use her in some form. First I need to find out what the deal is between her and Demarco. I first spotted them together at a salsa club where they danced. Then I ran across her spying on Jone's where Demarco came to her rescue and spent some time at her apartment. Ivy could be very useful to me.